DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   International Travel and Equipment Insurance (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/506916-international-travel-equipment-insurance.html)

Chuck Spaulding April 14th, 2012 01:46 AM

International Travel and Equipment Insurance

I'm leaving for Africa with a crew of four and about $35K worth of equipment. Can someone recommend where I might get production insurance?

Suggestions on packing and the best way to keep expense for oversized baggage down, we have a jib, would be greatly appreciated.

Steve House April 14th, 2012 05:23 AM

Re: International Travel and Equipment Insurance

Don't have the name of a source handy, but if you're looking to insure your gear, what you're asking about is called "Inland Marine" coverage, not production insurance. It insures your gear against loss or damage when it's in transit and/or you're working away from home-base. Using the proper term with agents might help track down the coverage for you. Also don't forget customs clearance issues - you might want to look into obtaining a Carnet (What is a Carnet?) to expedite import of your gear into the countries you're traveling through without having to pay duty or post bond. And check into your visas as well, someone traveling with just a handy-cam might be able to pass themselves off as a tourist but it sounds like the gear you're taking is going to raise some eyebrows to the fact you're traveling on professional business and could open up whole new levels of red tape - work visas and work permits, shooting permits, clearances through ministries of propag...err... 'communication' or internal security, mandatory hiring of local minders, etc - to wade through.

Chuck Spaulding April 14th, 2012 10:46 PM

Thanks Steve, this certainly gives me a place to start.

I Googled "Carnet," unfortunately Kenya is not a participating country. Has anyone shot in Kenya lately?

Allan Black April 15th, 2012 03:44 AM

Yep a couple of years ago and Tanzania. Our gear was covered by our travel insurance through my daughter who was a travel agent.

Some other info which you might not know. Carry all cams lens etc. on board but check ALL weights, the local airlines have lighter carry-on weights than the international carriers.

I took large white plastic garbage bags to quickly cover all the gear when the dust appeared. It's exactly like talculm powder and can cover everything within a minute. Take dust masks and only eat cooked food, carefully wash fruit in fresh bottled water and take personal antibiotics in a small medical kit.
Despite what you hear, only drink bottled water.

I always tote a small wrist compass, I mentally track directions on the way out and back. Carry photostats of ALL your paperwork, passport, authorisations, blood group any alergies etc... every time you step outside. And set your mobile phone for international roaming with phone numbers back home. Comprehensive travel and medical insurance is a must.

DO NOT video the police, military, border customs or their huts .. when in doubt, leave it out.

One time in Tanzania I just pointed a cam at some airforce trainers and it took an hour to talk my way out of it. The cops had ancient muskets with the butts bound up with masking tape, I figured if they ever pulled a trigger, they'd blow themselves and their hut sky high.

In Nairobi (capital of Kenya) we couldn't go outside our hotel without armed hotel security, after sundown not all all.

Some parks (and border crossings) have pro photog fees payable on entry, google 'em.

One thing, if you spend all your time with the cameras you'll miss the trip. They call it the African Experience to try and spot the big 5 animals.
Africa is great, you'll love it.

Cheers.

Chuck Spaulding April 16th, 2012 11:19 AM

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm looking forward to the trip.

If anyone else has some travel advice I'd appreciate hearing it.

Thanks

Allan Black April 25th, 2012 08:12 PM

Here's a wild thing to do in Africa, when you have some time off and you run across a herd of Zebras.

Set your cam to read 100% zebras and see how many you can get in frame.

Better if it's handheld, those suckers can get mean, pixxed off and they kick. No alcohol either.

Cheers.

Kenji Tanaka April 25th, 2012 09:18 PM

Please contact TPC (Tom Pickard & Co.) for the
INTERNATIONAL LIABLILITY INSURANCE. They are great !

TCP&Co. - Insurance for Production Companies -

We use them for our yearly domestic liability policy and also when we have short term International jobs.

Have always dealt with Barbara Whittiker...from this year there is a new person named Lyndsey Usborne who helped with the policy. ( Lyndsey Usborne <lyndsey@tcpinsurance.com>)

GOOD LUCK WITH ALL !

Chuck Spaulding May 1st, 2012 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 1729628)
Here's a wild thing to do in Africa, when you have some time off and you run across a herd of Zebras.

Set your cam to read 100% zebras and see how many you can get in frame.

Better if it's handheld, those suckers can get mean, pixxed off and they kick. No alcohol either.

Cheers.

That's pretty funny, I'm shooting with DSLR's so I won't see any zebras..