TV show Cheaters- how do they do it??????? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old August 7th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #1
Major Player

TV show Cheaters- how do they do it???????

I happened upon this show more times than I'd care to admit, and all I could think is how do they handle all the legal issues that surely must come up during production. A few of the things: location releases. How do they get permission to film in bars/restaurants. I'm assuming lots of money exchange hands, followed by a ream of paperwork to sign.

How about property damage? I saw someone get shoved into a parked vehicle, clearly damaging that vehicle.

Also when film in some restaurants, the name of the place s sometimes clearly viewable, even places like Subway and so on.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: TV show Cheaters- how do they do it???????

Some comments about that show here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-da...ow-dallas.html
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Pete. Interesting that someone on that discussion was a camera operator for the show. The stories that crew must have....but I'm sure they are all sworn to secrecy.

Jonathan
Old August 7th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #4
Major Player

Remember there is very little "Real" in Reality TV.
Old August 8th, 2012, 03:41 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Levin View Post
I happened upon this show more times than I'd care to admit, and all I could think is how do they handle all the legal issues that surely must come up during production. A few of the things: location releases. How do they get permission to film in bars/restaurants. I'm assuming lots of money exchange hands, followed by a ream of paperwork to sign.

How about property damage? I saw someone get shoved into a parked vehicle, clearly damaging that vehicle.

Also when film in some restaurants, the name of the place s sometimes clearly viewable, even places like Subway and so on.

Jonathan
How do they get permission? They ask, simple as that. Money might change hands, but not always. You'd be amazed at the cooperation a polite request can create. Many major firms have entire departments dedicated to product placement issues such as their trademarks and logos appearing on-screen. And serious production companies carry adequate levels of liability insurance to cover the possible property damage.
Old August 9th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #6
Inner Circle

If I was a restaurant owner I would actually pay to be on TV... think about it, it's free advertising!
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #7
Major Player

Or when the cast and crew barge in on someones home, apartment, private property....it's got to be a legal nightmare!
Old August 15th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I was a lead camera operator on that show for 2 years. All i will say is that, busting into a place with a crowd of people is extremely dangerous. I've gone home covered in food, beer and glass.
Corey Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Corey,

I'm just guessing but I am sure the show had pretty good health benefits and workers comp :-}

JL
Old August 15th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Yep Corey, that would've made it hard to white balance.

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business