DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Public Domain Christmas Music? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/51007-public-domain-christmas-music.html)

Christopher C. Murphy September 13th, 2005 09:41 AM

Public Domain Christmas Music?

Hi, this topic has been discussed...I know. However, I've got a specific question regarding Christmas music.

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find completely free Public Domain Christmas music? If you know where I get the actually recordings that are free...even better.

I do understand that the recordings themselves could be copywritten, so I'm looking for a one-stop-shop where I can get it all taken care of 100%.

At the very least, does anyone know where I can officially check to find out what classic Christmas songs are in the Public Domain? I'm talking about the real classics like "White Christmas", "Jingle Bells" etc...."Jingle Bell Rock" would be great too.

Thanks!!

Jay Gladwell September 13th, 2005 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher C. Murphy
I'm talking about the real classics like "White Christmas", "Jingle Bells" etc...."Jingle Bell Rock" would be great too.

Those are copyrighted! (Jingle Bells?)

Have you done a web search?

Jay

Christopher C. Murphy September 13th, 2005 02:47 PM

Yes, I did a preliminary search and found music books for sale. But, nowhere have I found a place where I can buy CD's with Christmas music that I can use in my film. If I don't find anything, I'll create my own using non-copyritten classics.

I know a lot of Christmas music is copywritten, but I want to know exactly what is and isn't....I guess I may have to pay for a search. But, this should be publicly available somewhere?!

Jay Gladwell September 13th, 2005 03:42 PM

When I did a web search using "royalty free christmas music" I found many, many web sites that have very inexpensive "royalty free christmas music."

Jay

Christopher C. Murphy September 13th, 2005 05:42 PM

I'll check out that search..thanks.

Steve House September 15th, 2005 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher C. Murphy
Hi, this topic has been discussed...I know. However, I've got a specific question regarding Christmas music.

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find completely free Public Domain Christmas music? If you know where I get the actually recordings that are free...even better.
At the very least, does anyone know where I can officially check to find out what classic Christmas songs are in the Public Domain? I'm talking about the real classics like "White Christmas", "Jingle Bells" etc...."Jingle Bell Rock" would be great too.

Thanks!!

ROFL - these ""classics" date from the 30's, and later - "Jingle Bell Rock" has got to be late 50's or early 60's (recorded by Brenda Lee??) - and well inside the copyright dates. To get to public domain you need to go back a lot farther than that - the traditional hymns like Silent Night, First Noel, We Three Kings, etc

You know you're getting old when the person you're talking to doesn't realize Paul McCartny was in a band before Wings, you're really old when they've never heard of Wings, and you're really ancient when they've never heard of Paul McCartny.