DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   QR Codes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/511994-qr-codes.html)

Steven Davis November 9th, 2012 04:59 PM

QR Codes

So, I'm hacking another business card out for 2013 and I'm adding a QR Code. I can do simple information such as my name, website, phone number. Ooorrrr, I can put it all on a V-Card code. I'm leaning towards the V-Card option, that way they have all my phone numbers, site etc all in one.

Any opinion?

Alex Khachatryan November 9th, 2012 05:21 PM

Re: QR Codes

1 Attachment(s)
Steven, I've been using business card with QR code which leads to my website for a year now and prospects and clients love it.
With the smart phones and tablets nowadays its really easy for people to save your info that way.
I just wonder if there's an option to change info on your code. In other words, to keep a same code but to be able to put different info on it when needed.

Steven Davis November 9th, 2012 05:25 PM

Thanks Alex,

I don't use them much, but I didn't want to freak clients out when the 'Allow access to your contacts' window comes up.

Steven Davis November 9th, 2012 05:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the one I created.

Alex Khachatryan November 9th, 2012 05:30 PM

I tried to scan yours from my computer screen and it doesn't scan for some reason while mine does.

Steven Davis November 9th, 2012 06:34 PM

Odd, it scanned off my photoshop document, but not in DVDINFO.net. weird
I'll throw it on my website and see it if works.

Steven Davis November 9th, 2012 06:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Trying jpeg

Ok, that's just bizarre

Yep, works on my blog, must be some compression that's messing it up. Thanks for letting me know though.

Ervin Farkas November 11th, 2012 03:35 PM

Probably too small for a computer screen - does not scan with my HTC EVO either.

Steven Davis November 12th, 2012 01:05 PM

hhmmm, I'll print it out. I know it works off my website, curious curious curious.

Nate Haustein November 12th, 2012 03:09 PM

My advice, don't use that red and black QR code and don't have soooo much information included. The more info, the smaller the details are, and you want these to work for all smart phones, not just the latest and greatest with the super-sharp 12MP cameras that focus at 2 inches. We did ours on a kraft colored card stock and they won't scan unless you get them under the perfect light and with the newest of smartphone cameras. Bigger, less complicated, and higher contrast, for example black on white. Its a cool and convenient thing to have on a card, but embarrassing when it doesn't work exactly how you say it will. For what it's worth, my iPhone 4 didn't scan your code, nor did a Galaxy S3.

Steven Davis November 13th, 2012 11:49 AM

I can't scani it on here either. I can scan it on my site. I'll keep researching. Thanks guys.

Chris Davis November 14th, 2012 11:07 AM

I would strongly suggest if you're going to include a QR code which takes a smartphone user to your website, you should have a mobile-enabled website.

I see you're using WordPress. It would be very simple to replace your current theme with a responsive theme.

Steven Davis November 14th, 2012 11:56 AM

Yeah, my blog is but the main site isn't. It's on my long todo list. :)

Keith Dobie November 15th, 2012 07:59 AM

Chip — Is it worth replacing my entire Wordpress site with a responsive theme? What about just a simple .mobi or a mobile version? I'm looking at the options right now. Happen to also be doing new business cards so this QR code idea is interesting as part of planning for mobile. I agree with Nate's comments — I really don't want to include it unless it works on maybe 95% of all mobile phones.

Steven Davis November 15th, 2012 08:12 AM

The Profoto blog theme I use for my Wordpress blog is mobile enabled. You could look at that. :)