setting up a production company at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 7th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

setting up a production company

I have a film which is going to be picked up by a Mexican TV station and
they told me that I'm going to need to have a production company set up in
order to make it work bureaucratically, something I've been meaning to do
anyway as I try to make a career out of documentary film.

I don't know much about this, and there is so much information on the web I
don't know where to start. So I figured I'd ask this forum. Advice?
Anything would be good.
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: setting up a production company

Might be different in Philly, but here, I'd register a custom business name and see a tax consultant, there are tax gains to be made.

Also work out whether you need some sort of contract or agreement which would state the number of on air plays, contain your copyrights
and restrict the station from on selling your show. Call around your local production companies for more advice.

Also find out whether they want a Spanish language version and work on that. Nice way to see in 2013, congratulations and have fun.

Cheers.
Old December 11th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I was actually going to ask a similar question, albeit from a slightly different angle. I was actually looking into starting a production company abroad to produce films for a foreign market. I'm curious to see if anyone's actually been successful in doing just that, and how they went about it.

I'm guessing you're not planning to setup shop in Mexico, but would be interesting to hear how one might go about doing so.
Stephen Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #4
Inner Circle

More details Stephen. Do you mean to 'live' abroad and start a prod. company to produce films for that country, or the foreign markets in general?

Cheers.
Old December 18th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Boss View Post
... I was actually looking into starting a production company abroad to produce films for a foreign market. I'm curious to see if anyone's actually been successful in doing just that, and how they went about it.
Care to say which market?

In general terms, it shouldn't be any different from setting up a company in your own country. If you're looking for specifics, then one can't help without knowing which country.
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:37 AM   #6
Major Player

Don't know how it works in the States, but here in Europe I would first go to the Chamber of Commerce. They have checklists, instructions, advise (often for free) for anyone who want to start a business.
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #7
Trustee

Here in the US, one of the best resources is your state's small business resource center. They will help you complete the correct forms and obtain any necessary licenses, all free of charge.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 12:42 PM   #8
Major Player

You can set up an LLC in PA pretty easily online. Either thru their website, or Legalzoom.com.

You might consider getting an accountant or CPA, as you'll need to file taxes as a business, especially if it's based in Philadelphia (Business Privelege Tax, Gross Receipts Tax), plus PA State business taxes. It's complicated.
David Barnett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business