Using Client Script for Infomercial at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Using Client Script for Infomercial

Hi guys!
Its been awhile.
Quick question. I have a client who has written their own script for a short informational video for there business. The script does not include what shots to have or anything. I am used to have a script and shotlist that goes with it. I do not want to have someone talking through the video the whole time, but would rather make something short and impactful. They are thinking about 5-15 minutes long.

Any suggestions how to help the client get the best video out of the deal? And how I should approach them to make changes / shorten / shotlist...

Thanks!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Using Client Script for Infomercial

Hi Silas,

If they're thinking for the length of video has a range of 5 to 15 minutes I don't think they truly have a script yet. I think you are on the right track thinking about the shot list. I would approach the client first asking if they have a shot list, and if they do not I would offer to help them develop one for your normal hourly rate. For me, a comprehensive, well thought out shot list is the only way to accurately estimate how many hours it will take to shoot the footage. It also exposes any problems you might have in the final edit allowing you to figure out what cutaways and b-roll you might need to shoot. I have heard of directors who work without a shot list but I can't do that.
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #3
Major Player

I guess I should say they are still writing out the script....

Thanks for the input Garrett -
I am thinking the same thing, I'll work on developing a shot list to go with their script and explain that that is how the final video will turn out. I am not sure that I would say the same thing that they are saying in their script but will offer suggestions and let them decide what they want to do. I used to creating really short, less than 5 minute, videos. This one will probably be longer and written by my client.
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:03 AM   #4
Trustee

Sometimes it's best to sneak in your ideas, especially if you know better. If the finished product is good, clients won't complain - unless it is one of those who is a closet filmmaker?

You can only convince people who share similar experiences to yours. Otherwise, show them some samples of your work or already published videos on the web. That'll speak more strongly. Hope this helps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business