Is anyone here using their smartphone to swipe credit cards for on-the-spot sales? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old August 12th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Is anyone here using their smartphone to swipe credit cards for on-the-spot sales

My wife performs her music at festivals and other event and I sell her CDs. We've been using Square since it came out. Never had a problem. I love it.

We both signed up for the PayPal system the day it was announced, which was awhile ago, and neither of us have ever received our card reader from PayPal. We both have had a merchant account with PayPal for years using it for online sales all the time. They've lost our credit card sales business, I wonder how many other potential users they lost?

It seems to me that everyone else at these events are using Square too. Maybe there is a reason for that...
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2015, 06:00 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Re: Is anyone here using their smartphone to swipe credit cards for on-the-spot sales

Just saw this today. Free Credit Card Reader.
Old August 7th, 2015, 06:22 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Just saw this today. Free Credit Card Reader.
This... looks like some sort of pyramid scheme? Telemarketing? I see complaints from people saying they were 'sales reps' working for commissions and that management lied to them, so they ended up lying to customers.

FYI Square's reader is also free. I believe Paypals is too. And, I can't believe I'm going to say this with Paypal in the sentence... they have a better reputation.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benda View Post
This... looks like some sort of pyramid scheme? Telemarketing? I see complaints from people saying they were 'sales reps' working for commissions and that management lied to them, so they ended up lying to customers.

FYI Square's reader is also free. I believe Paypals is too. And, I can't believe I'm going to say this with Paypal in the sentence... they have a better reputation.
It truly may be, I saw one on Fox Business the other day, but can't remember the name of it. The on I use doesn't work on all my devices. Buyer beware huh.
Old October 10th, 2015, 02:40 PM   #20
Trustee

Another happy square user here. But......the one thing I don't like is if a card is not available to swipe there is an additional charge to go to your account online and enter the info manually. Maybe 1% more I think? Does not sound like much but it is. Because that happens to me sometimes when a corporate client may give me card info over the phone for a job in the thousands. It adds up. The more your taking in the more you give up. And I don't even understand why the penalty is there?

Also with square they hold your money longer when you are a new user or your charges are big for the first time. It can take a little while before everything is in your account the next day.

Steve
Old November 17th, 2015, 04:18 AM   #21
Major Player

Been using paypal here at events for must be 3 yrs now and it is solid on ios at least.
Chip reader would be better than swipe imo because the swipe part gets dirty or something.
The card info can be input manually even if the swipe fails and if the client has paypal, their info email comes right up at the end of the process so you can tap send a receipt by email or txt.
love paypal
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 04:26 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Another happy square user here. But......the one thing I don't like is if a card is not available to swipe there is an additional charge to go to your account online and enter the info manually. Maybe 1% more I think? Does not sound like much but it is. Because that happens to me sometimes when a corporate client may give me card info over the phone for a job in the thousands. It adds up. The more your taking in the more you give up. And I don't even understand why the penalty is there?

Also with square they hold your money longer when you are a new user or your charges are big for the first time. It can take a little while before everything is in your account the next day.

Steve
The penalty is because there is a higher chance of fraud. Memorizing a number etc. When I am not doing things in person I use square invoice which I believe is closer to the swiped fee if not the same.

Thanks,

Josh C.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business