New contract advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old September 5th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #1
Major Player

New contract advice

Hey guys,

As I'm starting to get new clients more frequently, I figure it's time to write up a contract. I've never done this before, and admittedly I took some inspiration from contracts that I found online. So I was hoping to get some advice. This is what I've come up with so far:

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Deposit
A 20% deposit is required to secure the date for the client’s event. This deposit is required to be paid no later than 7 days prior to the event.
In the event of postponement, the deposit is non-refundable but will be carried forward when a new date is booked. In the event of a cancellation, the deposit will not be refunded.

Travel
When a round trip from *hometown* exceeds 100km, a travel fee of $0.55c per kilometre will be charged on mileage over this threshold.

If accommodation is required at an event, the client will be invoiced for the accommodation costs. All travel and accommodation costs will be additional to the quoted price of the production, and are due upon receipt of the finished production.

If mileage and accommodation requirements are known prior to the commencement of the production, best efforts will be made to include these costs in the initial quote to the client.

Access and permissions
The client is responsible for obtaining any necessary permissions or permits for *production company* to video each event. The client is responsible for any admission fees, parking, etc.

The client confirms that all participants and guests at the event freely give their permission to be recorded and consent to good-faith usage of their images and/or voices. The client is responsible for notifying all participants and guests that they may be filmed, and for obtaining authorisation from each person. *production company* can provide consent forms on request.

Copyright
*production company* retains copyright of all raw media, images and sound captured by the videographer. *production company* reserves the right to retain all raw footage for promotional and marketing use unless otherwise advised to us in writing by the client. In return, *production company* agrees to use all media in good faith and good taste.

Usage rights
The client is granted a license to use the finished production for private or commercial use by *production company*.
Each production is provided as-is and must not be modified or republished by the client without written permission by *production company*.

Our liability
In any event beyond the control of *production company*, including but not limited to illness, accidents, acts of God, unforeseeable and uncontrollable equipment failure, *production company* liability is limited only to the refund of monies received.

In the event a particular segment of the client’s event is not recorded, partially recorded or overlooked by *production company*, *production company* will not be held responsible for any discounts or reductions on the quoted contract.

The client understands that most events are not scripted, i.e. no re-takes, and *production company* has little or no control over the flow of activities at any given event. *production company* will make every effort to record all important aspects of the event.

Re-edits
Prior to the commencement of the project, the client has viewed samples of *production companies* work (found at URL.com: Search with Many) and is satisfied with the quality, video production capabilities and artistic style. Creative aspects such as shooting and editing style are at the discretion of *production company*.

The client will be provided with one (1) low-resolution draft of the finished product and given the opportunity to list any changes that will be made free of charge. After this time, any subsequent changes will be charged at an hourly rate. The free changes are limited to post production and do not include any new footage being captured.

The client has 7 days to note any required changes after viewing the draft. After this time, if the client requires changes in the finished production, additional fees will be charged.

Music choice
*production company* is able to source free music for non-commercial use (licensed under Creative Commons), provided the artist is credited in the production. We cannot use commercial music without an appropriate license.
*production company* is able to source royalty free (pay once) production music for commercial use. License fees vary depending on the intended use of the production.

Media storage
*production company* will retain the raw footage and a copy of the finished production in our archives for approximately three (3) months after the date of your event. During this period the client may choose to have their footage transferred to a hard drive, which the client must provide to *production company*.
If the client does not specify that they want their footage kept after three (3) months, it will be deleted from our archives.

I (the client), _______________________________________ agree to the above terms and conditions.

Date: / /

Signed: _________________________________
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business