Can I record/film a contractor working on my home? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old May 8th, 2014, 06:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Can I record/film a contractor working on my home?

Our home driveway and apron are in need of repair/replacement.

I'm considering recording the entire process, from estimate to completion, hopefully with enough to end up as a short doc relating history and maintenance of the property, and maybe even using it as demo footage for marketing.

Since the vast majority of the process will occur on my property, am I legally allowed to record the entire process, from estimate to demolition/removal, and replacement?
Would I need signed releases from each member of the crew?
I'd even be willing to turn it into a brief promotional web spot for the business that does the work, if they want to use it.

I invite all advice based on experience/knowledge.

Thanks.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 07:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Can I record/film a contractor working on my home?

Hi Denis,

Not a lawyer, but yes, you would have rights to videotape on your own property. That said, it could make the workers uncomfortable if you're constantly taping them. They might think you're trying to catch them screwing up or something to use against them.

I think the best approach would be to speak with the company owner up front and make arrangements to do some taping (not constant) with the idea that you would provide him with some sort of short video. Maybe get a discount off the job in exchange for a short video for his website. That way, everyone's on board and you're not the creepy, distrustful homeowner taping their every move. If taping for anything other than "personal use", for instance a commercial or something you want to put out in public, releases would be recommended.

Thanks

Jeff
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:50 PM   #3
Inner Circle

+1 with what Jeff said but I would go a step further. I would draw up some sort of agreement that you and the contractor sign stating that he has agree'd to you video recording his crew and their working AND have EVERYONE sign a release giving you permission to use their image.
It's CYA because I promise you 3 years from now you''ll get a letter from a lawyer who is looking to sue you on behalf of someone.
Old May 8th, 2014, 07:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the input.
I have intentions of discussing it with the business owner/mgr, but I believe it's wise to get the advice of others; 2 or more heads are often better than 1.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 11:40 PM   #5
Wrangler

Unless you need detailed shots, I'd just put up a "security" camera covering the area.
1) it's your property and your right
2) it won't interfere with their work
3) videotaping people repairing your driveway sounds boring as s--t on a nice summer day.

I wouldn't even bring it up to the owner or mention it to the crew. Buy and mount an unmanned camera and recorder, drink beer on back porch with feet up. Done.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business