Question about getting paid - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old May 19th, 2014, 06:44 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Question about getting paid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Looked to me like the request was for use/license of already shot video, not a contract to shoot? Not sure HOW that would turn into a scam (but you never know).
Anything can turn into a scam. There's always the classic, "Hey, here's a check for more than the amount we agreed upon to license your video. Can you deposit it and write us a check for the difference?"
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 10:18 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
How is that possible? If you give them the name of your bank or the accountnumber, how are they getting access? The only way to get money from my account is if you know the username and password.
It's actually quite easy. Take my electric bill for instance. Years ago, I signed up for automatic bill pay through my checking account. I merely gave them my bank account # and routing number. Then every month they initiate an ACH debit ( Automated Clearing House) for that amount. Now imagine a scammer. Same thing, they initiate an ACH debit, your money disappears, then they disappear. What's worse, is there are no consumer protection laws governing what happens if you're cheated on purpose or in error. Your bank may try and fix things, but unlike a stolen credit card, they are under no obligation to help.
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #18
Wrangler

Paypal is fine for a seller/vendor in most cases, though still vulnerable to payments made by stolen credit cards and chargebacks.
There is pretty much only a single way to not get scammed by a buyer... it's so foolproof scammers were using it for years to sell stuff.

Yeah...
You guessed it...

Western Union Money Transfer. :)
Old May 20th, 2014, 08:29 AM   #19
Inner Circle

My business account is with Santander, and the only way anyone can remove funds from your account is if you give permission. Most of my clients pay by electronic funds transfer now, and none of them, despite having my sort code and account number have any ability to randomly take my money. If I set up a direct debit from my account, then they can draw from it - but I only use this method when I really have to, and usually with very large, well known companies - such as gas, electric etc - and of course Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs for Tax and VAT.

Santander can set up international payments quite easily and swift and Iban codes are available.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #20
Inner Circle

There is no way anyone can access your bank funds just with your account number and Swift ...One simply identifies the bank location in the world and the 2nd identifies your account. I use them for all overseas transactions with no hassles. In most countries you have to use both the Swift Number and your Account Number to receive funds but there is no way the depositor can access your account.. the transaction BTW is NOT done by the depositor but by their bank so unless it's a fraudulent bank which is highly unlikely, being a bank to bank transaction you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Just open Wordpad on your computer and create an invoice and give it a number like 6001 or whatever and include your bank details (inc Swift) on the bottom and the depositor will simply hand it to his bank and they will transfer the funds.

Just bear in mind that if the guy that wants to pay you is a commercial business he will need either a PayPal account or a credit card to send you money...for him that's just a hassle. Email him an invoice with all the transaction details and let him pay you direct to your bank.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:28 AM   #21
Wrangler

I'll back up what Chris is saying, in that, this is very common in the corporate world. If you place orders with international countries, they will send you all their bank deposit info right off the bat. Very common.

Is it impossible to commit fraud this way? Well... like McGuyver said, when there's a will, there's a way... but given how common this is, it seems likely to be 99% safe.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 06:45 AM   #22
Major Player

I sent him an invoice via Paypal everything seems to being going OK except I need to resend him the PO # which was missing from the invoice in order to get paid. I'll let everyone know how it how it goes.
Old August 4th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #23
Major Player

It was a scam but I kind of knew it since there wasn't much info on their site and the form he sent me was missing a lot of info. I had reedited the film he wanted and had remove certain clips in case I got scammed. Anyway they downloaded a compressed version of my video not the original. Next time I'll have request payment in advance.
Old August 6th, 2014, 01:50 AM   #24
Inner Circle

I regularly pay Chinese suppliers by using the international systems Iban or swift. My bank have an online facility for this. If you are worried and don't trust them, then set up a new account specifically for this transaction. I'm confused when you don't know how to generate and invoice? What do you normally use to bill a client? Word and excel both have invoice templates, just use one of those. The only thing to watch with Iban and swift is that the charge can be quite high, typically thirty pounds or so here in the UK and the system allows for the sender or recipient to pay the charges, usually them, if you can get away with it.

It does seem a little odd for users abroad to volunteer to pay you for rights, so it could be a scam of some kind, but if money appears in the new account, why worry?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
I I'm confused when you don't know how to generate and invoice?
Invoice was generated and sent to them via Paypal.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business