DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Exclusivity contracts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/526690-exclusivity-contracts.html)

Kevin McRoberts February 1st, 2015 09:45 AM

Exclusivity contracts

Been toying with the idea of offering a few of my clients an "exclusivity" contract deal... short of it, they get 20% off rates in exchange for my being their sole video services provider.

thoughts/caveats/etc?

Shaun Roemich February 1st, 2015 06:00 PM

Re: Exclusivity contracts

The average client would see that as meaning your rates were 20% too high in the first place.

Don Bloom February 1st, 2015 09:15 PM

I did video for 30+ years 2200 weddings. I never wasn't the only professional videographer doing the job and IF there was a guest there shooting video I made sure we had a conversation before the wedding so we could reach an "understanding" meaning stay the hell out of my way. I never felt a need to insert an exclusive clause in my service agreement.

Vince Pachiano February 2nd, 2015 10:08 PM

It's unclear from your question who exactly your clients are.
For some types of clients, it would be a matter of how do you enforce it?
How do you know that they did not contract out some piece of work to someone else.
And if you do find out, what then? Do you sever the relationship?

Ken Diewert February 3rd, 2015 02:17 AM

I guess everyone's market is different... but I think that if clients are happy with your work, they really don't want to break in a new video guy... I've had one corporate client for over 5 years. They spend about 25k a year on a bunch of small stuff and I do give them a little better rate.

I heard some advice from somewhere on the interweb about being a freelancer...

You have to be two out of the three of these to be retain clients

1. Always be On time
2. Always be Very Good
3. Always be Very likeable

Price wasn't mentioned... Personally, I always try to leave the client happy... Even if it kills me. I will then chalk it up to experience, and never work for them again.

David Barnett February 3rd, 2015 09:13 AM

I kindof agree with Shaun a bit on this one. As Vince asked tho, who exactly are your clients that they would possibly hire other video firms?! Are we talking school plays & sports? Or is this corporate companies doing full shoots & crews.

As for the discount I worked in ad sales & media buying for about 5 years. Media buying firms were given something like a 17% Agency discount, for bulk buying. Only, it was pretty bogus because nearly EVERYBODY who bought advertising time went thru a media buying firm. So it was just a waying of inflating rates & coming down off them, and media buying firms would skim off the top. Anyway, the 17% discount seemed like a well thought out number. So when I shot depositions the last couple years when court reporting firms called me for rates, I told them my rates, but mentioned I'd be willing to give them a "17% agency discount". Seemed to work ok.

Jim Michael February 3rd, 2015 10:09 AM

I interpreted as meaning a client like a business that has a regular need for training or promotional content.