Copyright at beginning of DVD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 19th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Copyright at beginning of DVD?

Filmed a Nutcracker for client and I am selling DVD's with a portion going back to them. She has asked me to put a copyright notice at the beginning, "copying and distributing illegal, blah, blah, blah". I was hoping I would find some generic text for this but struck out. Any ideas? Whose company would be the copyright holder, mine or hers?

Thanks all.
Darryn Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2015, 04:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Copyright at beginning of DVD?

If the client has financed the recording then the copyright to the recorded work should be theirs. If you have financed it then it should be yours, depending on your agreement with them before filming.

This is referring to the copyright of the recorded material, not the content. If the Nutcracker includes Tchaikovsky's music and/or someone else's arrangement and choreography, then there will almost certainly be other copyright and performance issues which I assume have already been cleared. This is particularly important with school and small theatre group productions where they should have the correct licenses in place. Frequently they do not and when copies start appearing in the public domain on disc or on YouTube, there can be problems.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2015, 05:40 AM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

Not quite exactly answering the question, but here's some text I used on the DVD art for a pro-bono job.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Copyright at beginning of DVD?-dvd-copyright.jpg  
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2015, 06:07 AM   #4
Inner Circle

In the US, use of copyright notice on a published work after March 1989 became optional, so there is no statutory requirement to have a printed notice. If you choose to use a notice, there are guidelines to follow, most of which are covered in this link. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy...eptible_copies
You can of course choose to put a notice of warning on your DVDs, as a 'frightener' to discourage copying, although copyright is still protected whether or not there is a notice.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2015, 06:45 AM   #5
Inner Circle

If found below message to be pretty straightforward, except for the prohibited locations (like oil rigs and prisons) where it cannot be played :) and you might just as well leave out that part.
Those copyright messages won't prevent anything though, people will copy the dvd's whenever they feel like it.

http://mrfortna.com/IT/Copyright-Notice.png
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2015, 08:12 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks all. I believe she is looking for the "frightener" in hopes they will do the right thing. And we all know what that and a cup of coffee gets ya

I do like the text in the photo and will use similar on the opening screen.
Darryn Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 01:29 PM   #7
Major Player

I've got a CD somewhere and it says:
"All right reserved. Unauthorized copying is prohibited. Violators will be shot. Survivors will be shot again."

But that might be a bit unfriendly :-p
Old January 24th, 2016, 03:20 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Not quite exactly answering the question, but here's some text I used on the DVD art for a pro-bono job.

Andrew
Careful with using the official DVD logo shown in the photo. It is reserved for replication discs made to the DVD specification and corresponding licensing fees being paid. You can't use it on a burned DVD+-R. DVD FLLC - DVD Logo

Last edited by Mark Williams; January 25th, 2016 at 07:40 AM.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business