I Guess I Just Need a Place to Think - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 6th, 2016, 12:44 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: I Guess I Just Need a Place to Think

Hire a freelance editor (with his own edit system) to cut and grade so you can focus on the shooting.
Old January 9th, 2016, 12:01 PM   #17
Major Player

Well yesterday my wife just got asked if I film weddings and she said yes and this woman immediately hired me for $1000. haha. So I guess I'm going to start filming weddings.

I figured this may work out because I will need to rent some equipment anyway to do a wedding right, so instead of doing a wedding for free just to have something for a potential client to see, I can actually make a little money while doing the same thing. We will see how it goes. Anyone have any tips on filming a wedding? haha. I planned on using three cameras (6D, GH4 and then renting the A7sii + metabones adapter).

Not sure if this is what most people do but I assume I would have two cameras on tripods in the back of the church and then I could walk around with the third camera to get closer shots of the groom, bride, pastor, crowd, etc. Anyone have any better ideas or advice?
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 03:48 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Do you have experience shooting with the a7s? If not I would not recommend taking a camera with you that you don't know to a wedding. Also, you are mixing panasonic, Sony and Canon, you are going to have fun matching all three in post. :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 04:30 PM   #19
Inner Circle

There's a "modest" wedding forum section on DVi.... should be more than enough to get you "rolling"!

There are different styles of video, you'll probably want to find out what your client expects...

I think you'll find that most video guys have at LEAST one (used to run 3-4 myself) actual video cam rolling (mine would be an AX100, shooting 4K so it covers "wide" and cropped framing), and a mix of additional cameras from a couple different angles. Depending on the style of service and the venue, you could find yourself "good" with 3 cameras, or struggling with 6 or more to get all the needed angles.

You also should have a plan to get the audio side of the equation - a lav on the groom with a digital recorder is a "minimum" in most cases to ensure you get the "money track" (vows). Again, style of service and venue can greatly affect what you'll need for audio.

You've already got some experience with weddings, so that will help - just remember that with video, you have to keep the framing steady and still "run and gun"!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 11:33 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
There's a "modest" wedding forum section on DVi.... should be more than enough to get you "rolling"!

There are different styles of video, you'll probably want to find out what your client expects...

I think you'll find that most video guys have at LEAST one (used to run 3-4 myself) actual video cam rolling (mine would be an AX100, shooting 4K so it covers "wide" and cropped framing), and a mix of additional cameras from a couple different angles. Depending on the style of service and the venue, you could find yourself "good" with 3 cameras, or struggling with 6 or more to get all the needed angles.

You also should have a plan to get the audio side of the equation - a lav on the groom with a digital recorder is a "minimum" in most cases to ensure you get the "money track" (vows). Again, style of service and venue can greatly affect what you'll need for audio.

You've already got some experience with weddings, so that will help - just remember that with video, you have to keep the framing steady and still "run and gun"!
Haha I guess I never really thought about matching those three cameras. Yea that won't be much fun.

Good advice overall. Thanks!

I'll check out the wedding forum as well.
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business