DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Do I need a permit to film at a Park, NYC? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/532759-do-i-need-permit-film-park-nyc.html)

Erick Munari September 22nd, 2016 10:32 AM

Do I need a permit to film at a Park, NYC?

Hello everyone,

I have a music video to shoot at Prospect Park, Brooklyn - NYC and I'm wondering whether I should get a permit.
The set up is quite simple, consisting of Tripod, Canon C100, a reflector and one small fill light. There will be three musicians in front of the camera and one assistant. No cables, no props, no choreographies, etc.

Any thoughts?
Thank you,

Erick

Mike Watson September 22nd, 2016 08:50 PM

Re: Do I need a permit to film at a Park, NYC?

"Productions using hand-held camera, camera on tripod, hand-held props and/or hand-held equipment, not asserting exclusive use of City property, not using prop weapons, prop vehicles, stunts, actors in police uniform and not requesting parking privileges for production vehicles do NOT need a permit. Standing on a City sidewalk, walkway of a City bridge or within a City park while using a hand-held camera and not otherwise asserting exclusive use of City property is NOT an activity that requires a permit."

Sounds to me like it depends on if the instruments are handheld, and on how you rig your light. If your ass't handholds it, no permit. If it's on a light stand, permit.

Erick Munari September 23rd, 2016 08:52 AM

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply. Where did you find that quote, in case I have to quote that to NYPD!

Jeff Pulera September 23rd, 2016 10:19 AM

Eric,

Copy and paste the text of Mike's quote into Google search, relevant sources come right up

Thanks

Jeff

Mike Watson September 23rd, 2016 05:33 PM

Actually Jeff, if you copy and paste the title of the thread, "Do I need a permit to film at a park in New York City" into Google, it is literally the first hit.

Erick Munari September 24th, 2016 11:42 AM

Thank you guys for some reason I missed that page while doing my search. Its a relief for my purposes.
All the best.

link below for future reference:
when-permit-required

Erick Munari September 29th, 2016 09:55 AM

The shoot went well. Filmed for a few hours, some hand-held, some tripod and a reflector. The Park was very busy but no one interfered. The C100 must be inconspicuous enough. We were still there when it got dark, I used a Switronix Torch light for close up shots. It was a ninja production and the results were favorable.

Erick Munari February 14th, 2017 02:10 PM

here is how it came out: