Accounting Software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 17th, 2017, 11:00 AM   #1
Major Player

Accounting Software

Previous threads were back from around 2010, so I imagine some new startups might be worth checking out. My question is is anyone using accounting software they recommend. Mostly, aside from Quickbooks, or is Quickbooks worth the money and if so what addt'l services do you find make it worthwhile (ease of use, support/tutorials, sales mgmt).

Looking for accounting software, I've heard of Xero & Zoho, and in researching came across Freshbooks too. Sometimes however these knockoffs can have their faults, or bad support/little tutorials online. I tried accounting software thru my web host (GoDaddy) last year. It seemed to be software they purchased from a company a few years ago. It was a bit cumbersome & I couldn't download and save invoices to easily, wasn't much of a fan. Kindof online only like Google docs vs MS Word/Excel. When I called for help, understandly their (web hosting) tech support didn't know all that much about it, almost surprised they offered it or a customer actually was using it. Moving on.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 12:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Accounting Software

Hi Dave,

Have a look at this programme https://www.gnucash.org/ I got very fed up with escalating costs of quick books etc and when my last version of Intuit suddenly stopped working after 4 years, I was told by them that they had changed to annual subscription at about £150 p.a.. I tried Gnucash on recommendation and found it as good as any of the others and it's FREE.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 10:23 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I have an very old version of QB that I only use to create invoices and mark them paid. Everything else gets entered into a spreadsheet with the end goal of compiling the information I need to do my taxes ie tracking my expenses and documenting my deductions.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 01:43 AM   #4
Trustee

I use this: https://www.manager.io
It's free and works extremely well, they update often and the forums are loaded with info.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 05:13 AM   #5
Major Player

Use something an accountant would be familiar with so you don't end up paying for the learning curve. QB 2017 is available as an installable application if you want to avoid the web based implementation and less than $200.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 04:23 PM   #6
Trustee

I use waveapps.com for my invoicing, it's free. I do my expenses through a complex system of saving e-mails, bank statements, and spreadsheets. I was all set up to buy quickbooks starting 1/1/17 and when I went to buy it I saw solidly mediocre ratings across the board, and decided what I had was mediocre or better, so I didn't do it.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 04:32 PM   #7
Trustee

Manager IO https://www.manager.io has all that one needs for small business or personal use. I have tried them all and found Manager IO the best all round. Generating reports for your Tax Agent is simple, invoicing, P/L statements, contractors, payroll and the list goes on... it's all in there.

It's free (FREE) don't forget and once you set up a Business in Manager IO you'll never regret trying this.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 05:17 PM   #8
Austinite

You can make invoices in paypal...
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 07:34 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I use this platform for 6th year and it only gets better:
https://invoice.2go.com/
Alex Khachatryan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business