interview 2 camera light audio workload at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 19th, 2017, 04:32 AM   #1
Tourist

interview 2 camera light audio workload

Hello,

My 1st thread here!

i got a job where they ask me as a videographer to conduct the interview. The questios are already written.
I still wonder how you deal with workload.

1 camera setup (2 camera's) sony e mount
2 light setup (2 ledlight)
3 sound wireless/shotgun and room(zoom h6)
4 conducting the intervieuw.

The interviews/client feedback are small/short and used for promotional use.

Are you used to this situation doing it by yourself?
Or do you think its too much to think of, and loose too much quality.

thank you for your time

Peter
Peter Acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 04:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: interview 2 camera light audio workload

Hi Peter and welcome to the forum :-)

Interviews can vary widely depending on location, background and local lighting, plus the experience and demeanour of the interviewee, so any advice without further information can only be general.

If you feeli it necessary to use two cameras then one locked off and one manned for slow zooms etc would be straightforward. I often use a tripod with a double mount so that one camera can be kept on wide angle and one for closeups. Alternatively, one camera only in 4K gives you the option to keep wide and crop to CUs, pans, zooms etc in post.

A pair of lightweight LED lights may be good or even just one to give light off centre, but it depends on whether you are doing quick location interviews or studio, where more conventional key, fill and backlights might be more appropriate and give more consistent results.

Personally, for short quick interview sound, I would be inclined to use a small pocket recorder with a lav mic, which can be easily synched in post. It also removes any possible wireless interference or dropout and minimises reflective and ambient sound.

Pre written questions are useful guides, but make your subject feel comfortable and at ease first if possible and try to introduce the questions in a friendly conversational way for a better response. If you can make the interviewee's feel that they are talking to you rather than at a camera, it will be less stressful for them.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 07:54 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I did a similar setup solo recently. It wasn't easy to conduct an interview while trying to monitor two cameras and audio at the same time. It's a lot of setup and you can't maintain eye contact with the subject while trying to monitor your equipment. The second time I came back, I reduced it to 1 camera and mic for my own sanity.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 11:15 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You need to reduce the cognitive load from running your gear to allow for also doing the interview. When I do this, I run audio into a 3-chip ENG camcorder right next to me and monitor it with headphones. The ENG camcorder ergonomics are what help here. Second camera is locked off and rolling the entire time.

I use a field monitor attached to the leg of the ENG tripod so it's in front of me and I can see it at a glance. Camera controls also in reach but I find rarely needed once focus, composition and exposure is set. I also use a zoom controller with focus on the tripod handle so I can re-compose on the fly and cover it with camera 2. But if you are using a camera without remote zoom or par focal lens ... the recompose isn't really an option.

Just before starting, I chit chat to relax the subject and casually mention I may look down at the monitor or adjust the camera but I ask them to ignore me and keep looking at where my eye's use to be.

... YMMV
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 12:05 PM   #5
Major Player

I do these somewhat regularly, and take a more involved route with the lighting. It's possible to do, but you really need to have a plan going in and allow yourself enough time to juggle everything.The toughest part is having to split your attention between the shot and the interview, maintaining eye contact with your talent while monitoring your audio levels and ensuring that your shot is still well framed and focused. Your best bet is to add an accessory monitor on a stand just in front and below your line of sight to your talent. But barring that, position yourself just to the side of the camera, allowing your talent to look you in the eye, but being able to see the shot in your periphery and glance over occasionally when you can. I like doing these in 4K with a lock-down shot and zooming in post. Side angle is great when you have the time for it, but you'll have a hard time monitoring it while it's rolling.
A rather inexpensive suggestion is to hire a PA to help with the setup, and ask the questions during the interview. Costs in my area range from $15-30/hour. Not much to add to your cost.
Attached Thumbnails
interview 2 camera light audio workload-three-person-setup.jpg  
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business