Institute of Videography at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 28th, 2017, 06:23 PM   #1
Tourist

Institute of Videography

I'm curious to see what people opinion is of the IOV (http://iov.uk/)?
As a new startup I'm looking at my options and expenses I'm going to incur and buying membership isn't cheap.
However what I found interesting is that there is only a couple of people listed in my area as members of IOV and yet I know there are many more videographers and companies operating locally. It would seem a surprising low number are registered with them.
Regards
James
James Buckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 03:32 AM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: Institute of Videography

Get Doug Jensen's training videos. He's the real deal.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 04:25 AM   #3
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Get Doug Jensen's training videos. He's the real deal.

Andrew
I was more thinking about some of the other benefits, i.e. the contract templates. But also if people actually value being a member of a professional body?

Regards
James
James Buckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 12:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Buckett View Post
I was more thinking about some of the other benefits, i.e. the contract templates.
Are contract templates really that hard to find on the Internet?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 02:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I've been an IoV Master Member pretty much since it started in 1986, initially for the prestige of belonging to a professional body in a very new field, and I think the 'belonging' is the most important part of the IoV. Online forums are great for knowledge sharing, and the IoV has its own forums, but members actually meet each other, share experiences and bring along their latest bits of kit for others to try out. You can get by on your own in this business, but its always nice to have a network of like-minded members whose knowledge and experience you can tap into at any time.
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 03:36 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I looked at joining the IOV in the late 1980s after having started video filming in 1983. The idea of a badge of recognition from a professional body on my paperwork seemed like a good one. However, knowing a couple of members whose work seemed less than great, made me more doubtful. They also wanted a submission of work to be judged by a panel of members that I didn't feel was appropriate at that time. I felt that there was an elitist feel to the organisation, whereas it was actually a club that you had to pay to join and didn't offer anything to my advantage at that time.

It may well have changed since then, but many 'Professional' organisations that you can join by paying a substantial fee are ten a penny, and are only interested in selling you a logo. The IOV is probably not like that, and if you want to join an organisation that has other members in a similar area to yourself, then you may enjoy the opportunity of an occasional meet up and discussion.

I don't believe that such organisations give you any extra credibility with clients, as clients will be more interested in seeing actual work that you have done. The obvious thing is to see if you can attend a meeting as a prospective member and draw your own conclusions.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business