DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Equipment training documentation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/534533-equipment-training-documentation.html)

Phil Goetz August 14th, 2017 08:24 AM

Equipment training documentation

I have a new client who wants two days of training recorded. It is one trainer and there are ten participants. It's in a conference room. They don't have the budget so will operate the equipment themselves. I have everything charged, formatted and tested. I will do training before the event and will provide the following documentation.

I think it is pretty thorough. We will see.

>>>
Three Point Production camera kit instructions

There are four main items in the production kit:

Canon HF21 - camera
Olympus LS100 – audio recorder 1
Zoom H2n – audio recorder 2
RodeLink wireless mic

The RodeLink is connected to the Olympus recorder. The camera and Zoom recorder are stand alone items that don’t connect to anything else besides a power source.

The camera
The camera runs on 120 volt AC power. Be sure the AC power connector is snuggly inserted. It will come out if it is tugged on or if it is not plugged in all the way. It is not damaged in any way, it’s just the way it is.
The camera has 64gb internal memory. It will record for approximately 11.5 hours. The camera has a 32gb SD card installed if you need it. The SD card will record for approximately 5.5 hours. There are menu settings to change the record destination from the internal memory to the card. Initially the camera is set to record to the internal memory.
For operation, hit the start / stop button which is at the right rear of the camera. You will see a red circle and the counter will start when you are recording.
FYI – the camera has a stereo mic in the front that picks up sound. You will not need to adjust the audio level. You will not need to adjust the video level either. Exposure is automatic and face detect is turned on. You may see a box pop up around the face of a person. This is normal. It just shows that the face has been detected and is focused.

The RodeLink
The RodeLink wireless mic is made of two parts; the receiver and the transmitter. The receiver runs on a USB mini plug that is connected to 120 volts. The receiver is mounted on the camera and is connected to the left XLR input of the Olympus recorder. The transmitter is with the person speaking and can be attached to the persons belt or inside jacket pocket. The lavaliere mic should be attached to a tie or a lapel. If the presenter is wearing a blouse, do your best to attach the mic. It runs off of two AA batteries. There are spare batteries in the blue and black bag but we begin with fresh batteries installed.
For operation you need to hold down the power button on both the receiver and transmitter for several seconds before they power on. You do not need to power them on at the exact same time or link them or anything, you just need to get them both turned on. They are both set to channel “7”. FYI - The channels are mainly used when you are using several wireless mics in the same room, which is something we are NOT doing.

The Olympus
The Olympus audio recorder runs off of an internal lithium ion battery. The recorder has a USB mini plug that is connected to 120 volts. It will charge the battery when the recorder is not recording. That is, it will record during breaks and over lunch and at the end of the day. There is a spare battery. Swap it out if it dies. There is a battery door on the right side of the recorder. The initial battery should be able to keep up all day though.
For operation turn it on, press left or right to get to RECORD, press OK and then hit RECORD. It will go into ‘record pause mode’. You will see the levels moving. You need to hit record again to start recording. You will see the seconds and minutes counting when recording. The input level is set to MANUAL and is currently at “7”. This was tested with a normal speaking level. It should be fine. Audio level should be between “-12” and “-6”. It should not hit “0”. The capacity of the SD card installed will allow approximately 95 hours of recording. FYI the way a digital audio meter works, “-6” is louder than “-12”.
Note: the power switch goes down to turn it on and then up to go to HOLD. Be sure not to put it on HOLD as none of the buttons will work to start or stop recording. It is turned on or off by switching it down. There are two switches on the left for PHANTOM POWER. They both should be OFF. There are headphones to check the audio. The audio only comes through one side of the headphones. This is normal. Do not leave the headphones plugged in as this will drain the battery.

The Zoom
The Zoom audio recorder runs off of a USB mini plug that is connected to 120 volts. It does NOT have an internal battery. It is set to auto level control. For operation turn it on and press record. You will see the seconds and minutes counting when it is recording. The capacity of the SD card installed will allow for approximately 45 hours of recording.

Phil Goetz August 16th, 2017 09:09 AM

Re: Equipment training documentation

I met with the IT contact and a communications person at the company. I had my training document printed out. I went over it with them and hooked up all the equipment. We plugged in and tested everything. It took about 45 minutes. I am going this afternoon to pick everything up. They were to shoot all day yesterday and then today as well.