Help!!! Self Proprietary -Tax deductible? at

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old November 1st, 2005, 10:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew
Help!!! Self Proprietary -Tax deductible?

I'm doing a music video project for a band inturn they are giving me a track which i really like for one of my project. A media lawyer prepared the agreement and the signed on it.

Now, regarding the expenses. The budget is $1000. I have no idea how to do a tax deductible. Is it possible to tax deduct when doing self-proprietary work?

Please advice,
Harikrishnan Ponnurangam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 04:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle
As a sole-proprietor many things are deductible, not just direct expenses but depreciation of equipment, office space, telephone, computers, etc. But don't try to do it yourself - talk to an accountant - the few bucks it costs you will be returned many times over in what he or she can save you.
Good news, Cousins! This week's chocolate ration is 15 grams!
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #3
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul
you are going to spend 1000 of your $$ on the video ..
for that 1000 you are going to receive a song to use now/future ( which the band values at ? your completed video)..

bottom line = you are spending 1000 out of pocket and in return you are receiving a 1000 value ( use of song) ... = you may have nothing to deduct other then listing spending 1K and receiving 1K ????

YES you can operate at a loss for awhile .. the IRS knows that you will lose $$ what starting out and that you may do work/project at a loss to promote youself

you "usually" need to have INCOME in order to use deductions ...

are you going to use schedule A or C for deductions ??
Don Donatello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business