Shooting A Workshop at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 8th, 2005, 10:00 PM   #1
Tourist

Shooting A Workshop

I have a job in San Francisco shooting a weekend workshop - It will be 2 hours the 1st night and then about 6 hrs a day for the next two days - It will be in a hotel conference room - I can shoot one or two cameras - The 15 - 20 attendants will sit in a semi-circle while the two instructors will sit facing them- At times the attendants will spread out a bit to practice techniques -
1. Would it be better to switch it live or shoot to tape and edit it?
2. What would be your recomendations for lighting?
3. Where is the best place to rent equipment in San Francisco? DV quality -
4. Does anyone know an event videographer in the area that would like to
support the job?

Last edited by Brad Ohlund; December 8th, 2005 at 10:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Brad Ohlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #2
Inner Circle

"better" depends on budget and time. It could be 28 hours of video (14 hours x 2 cameras). Renting a switcher (and tethering the cameras to it), a deck, a person to act as "TD" might be cheaper in the long run but this looks like $5,000-$10,000. Who's mixing the audio? How are you micing this? You'll may need some hours to fix bad switches in postproduction.

I would not shoot this with one camera unless you decide to ignore everything but the instructors.

Maybe a big Chinese Lantern or a few Tottas bouncing off the ceiling.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 04:14 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I did a similar shoot a number of years ago. We used two cameras, live switching, and 2 VTRs. Lav mic on the speaker, 2 omnis in the audience, 2 camera ops, technical director/switcher and sound mixer. Setup the cams so that the "on-air" feed from the switcher is going to the A-roll VTR while the off-air camera is recording to the 2nd VTR as B-roll. That way you have complete coverage from start to finish with your A roll holding the rough cut and the B roll holding the out takes from both cameras to allow you to revisit the edits in post.
Old December 12th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #4
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman
"better" depends on budget and time. It could be 28 hours of video (14 hours x 2 cameras). Renting a switcher (and tethering the cameras to it), a deck, a person to act as "TD" might be cheaper in the long run but this looks like $5,000-$10,000. Who's mixing the audio? How are you micing this? You'll may need some hours to fix bad switches in postproduction.

I would not shoot this with one camera unless you decide to ignore everything but the instructors.

Maybe a big Chinese Lantern or a few Tottas bouncing off the ceiling.

Thanks for youe reply - I'm planning 3 cameras at this point although it may go to 2 if the budger tightens - I agree with the $10,00- estimate - Maybe more to travel the crew - I was going to use wireless lavs for the 2 instructors and a wireless hand held for audience questions - I like the chinese lantern idea - I wonder what size would cover a group like this [15-20 people]? I thought the switcher could also mix the sound - It is a fairly slow moving event - Pardon my ignorance here, but what is the difference between a switcher and a video mixer? Are they the same? If not, would one be better or cheaper than the other?
Brad Ohlund is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business