DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   The worldwide databases for footage? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/58405-worldwide-databases-footage.html)

Georg Liigand January 16th, 2006 11:58 AM

The worldwide databases for footage?

Hello,

I don't know if I'm putting this to the right forum, but here's my question. I know that there should be some very large international footage databases (also in the internet) where the TV stations can take clips for the news. For example, if there's some disaster in USA, then the European channels have to get the footage from somewhere. Many don't have cameramen everywhere and therefore they have to acquire the footage from other videographers. Such footage is often needed for documentaries too. I've even visited a website of such database, but cannot remember the address anymore.

Now I'm wondering if it would be possible for me to also send my footage to there? I have lots of interesting video material that could be useful for many. Maybe it would be possible to earn some money there or maybe I could just send some footage to get reputation? I would indeed be very glad if my video was shown in some news channels.

I would appreciate if could just give me some information and maybe explain a bit how the worldwide news trading works.

Thanks a lot.

James Emory January 16th, 2006 04:11 PM

I have heard of a company in New York that specializes in collecting footage for documentaries and probably other uses as well but I don't think the compensation was worth it. I can't remember the name of it either. I explored the news delivery idea myself 3 years ago and have shot for local affilliates and CNN. I approached all Atlanta affiliates and provided working demos for the ABC and CBS affilliates, spoke with FOX News Channel and CNN about it and they all love the idea, but nothing ever happened. My experience has been futile with the affiliates because the management, if not ownership, changes so frequently that you have to start all over again with your pitch so I just gave up on them. You would be surprised how far behind these agencies are in technology or comprehending the usefulness of this idea. They tend to go with known technologies and methods such as one of the most widely used providers of news, the Associated Press (AP). The AP has been offering video delivery for about 3-4 years now and they have integrated it with their standard wire services. When I first approached the ABC affilliate in Atlanta about my method of delivery, they were all over it. I couldn't believe it and thought it would take off. They immdiately scheduled a meeting for a demo and afterwards requested a detailed proposal describing the process and the cost and cost, as always, was the issue. The cost was not that much considering it was a flat rate for shooting, compression, broadband delivery, the superfast turnaround and the incredible usefulness they would have gotten for a variety of content to choose from. Dealing with news agencies today is an exercise in futility. Their budgets are shrinking fast, not really, but for the worker bees, yes. Believe me, they've got plenty of money. It's amazing what they can offer you when they want something bad enough.

Georg Liigand January 17th, 2006 09:45 AM

Thanks for the great reply and useful information! I've found some websites now, but they are still not something I've been looking for. They are usually just some smaller companies that provide footage they have filmed or collected.

If anyone else knows something, I would be happy to hear. Thank you.

James Emory January 17th, 2006 02:56 PM

Here is the site that I couldn't remember earlier.

www.cameraplanet.com