DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Freelancing for other production companies (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/5882-freelancing-other-production-companies.html)

Dylan Couper January 7th, 2003 06:04 PM

Freelancing for other production companies

How many people have experience doing freelance work for video production companies?

I'm thinking of doing up a resume and submitting it to a bunch of the local production companies in hope of making some extra money. My post Christmas Visa bill just came in, coincidence?

I'd like to know any tips people might have for getting work, and also thoughts on this from people that own or work for medium/large production companies.

Jeff Donald January 7th, 2003 10:57 PM

Make a hot demo reel and send it out with your resume and rates. You can leave the rates as negotiable to start out. List your services with and without equipment. Have an hourly rate, 1/2 day rate and full day rate. Your reel and your rates will get you work, just ask for it.

Jeff

Paul Sedillo January 8th, 2003 06:10 AM

Dylan,

I agree with Jeff. Make your demo reel as captivating as possible. You want your perspective employer to be stunned and amazed at your skills as a camerman/editor/director. Be creative. And above all else get out there and ask for the job. People tend to over look that simple concept. You need to be willing to drive home your passion when seeking perspective work. Look at that guy who won Project Greenlight. He did it with passion and a serious sales pitch. Now his movie did not leave much to be desired, but that's a different story. :)

Seeking freelance work comes down to getting out there and beating the bushes. Take Josh Bass for example, I get an email from him once or twice a week checking in. He is persistant without being a pest. Plus the guy does good work (now don't go and get a big head Josh!). The first project that he worked for me, he took the initiative to scout the location on his time. He wanted to make sure that he understood the situation prior to the shoot. This impressed me that he cared enough about his work, to go the extra mile.

Tips to live by (in my book):

- Ask for the job.
- Be professional.
- Let your enthusiasim show through.
- Follow up with the prospect before you work for them and after you complete the assignment. This is critical.
- Ask for the job (it needed mentioning again)
- Make a creative demo reel that shows your passion for the craft.
- Create a book (or spreadsheet) of all the local shops in your area. Information is king. The more you know about them, the better you will be able to taylor your pitch.
- Always go the extra mile once you get the assignment. This shows that you are willing to work hard and you are a true professional.

Good luck!

Dylan Couper January 8th, 2003 09:28 AM

What do you think a good length for a demo reel is?
And, do you know where I can find examples of a good demo reel on the internet?

Paul Sedillo January 8th, 2003 09:56 AM

It think a reel should be between 3-5 minutes. I will dig through my links for demo reels and post when I find them.