DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   HELP!!! Rates info needed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/58894-help-rates-info-needed.html)

Rafal Krolik January 22nd, 2006 06:24 PM

HELP!!! Rates info needed

Hi Folks. Here is the scenario. One camera person, shooting mini dv on XL2. Video being produced for a major client, ie large corporation, editing. No travel involved, no additional expenses, up to 12 hours per day following client as he conducts daily business.
If this was you, what rate would you charge, daily and hourly. Looking for some $ figures.
Also, in situations like this, is usually the client responsible for getting the necessary releases, property and people, or does the company doing the video needs to worry about it.

Thanks. I need to have a quote done by tonight so please help !!!!

Bob Costa January 22nd, 2006 09:51 PM

Me: Production at $1250 a day covers all camera equipment, audio, basic interview-type lighting, and an assistant for up to 9 hours. Clock starts when I walk in the door at first location for the day. Extra hours at $180 per.

Editing and meetings at $110 an hour.

I manage all the legal paperwork, because it is my neck. Be sure you have a good contract too.

Your rates may be higher or lower. Good Luck. HTH.

Rafal Krolik January 23rd, 2006 02:42 PM

Thanks Bob

Your reply came in very handy. I guess it's time to wait and see if my bid wins.
Thanks again.

Rafal

Brian Wells January 23rd, 2006 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Costa
Me: Production at $1250 a day covers all camera equipment, audio, basic interview-type lighting, and an assistant for up to 9 hours.

What kind of gear are you bringing with you?

Rafal Krolik January 23rd, 2006 04:20 PM

Actually 1250 doesn't sound like a lot if you consider how much people charge for weddings...quality weddings. 125 per hour seems to an average rate based on all the research I was doing last night. The specs for the project call for only one camera so that is all I am bringing...plus of course a backup camera should anything go "Murphy" on me. This particular project could be charged at the top of the rate scale because of what it entails.
I would also assume that it is better to bid high and be willing to compromise then to bid low and then hold the resentment towards the project.
All in all, I think I stand a good chance as we speak but won't hold my breath until the contracts are signed.
Thanks again guys.

Craig Seeman January 23rd, 2006 04:46 PM

Can't compare production to a wedding which typically includes about a week of editing.

Are you going to wireless lav the "subject?" Your audio will suffer if you're going to chase a moving subject with a shotgun (which you should use for ambience).

Sadly I've gone as low as $75/hr for 1/3" 3 chip camera plus small 3 point light kit and assistant and still get underbid often at that price!

Bob's rates seem in the ballpark depending on market and skills.

Brian Wells January 23rd, 2006 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafal Krolik
Actually 1250 doesn't sound like a lot if you consider how much people charge for weddings...quality weddings.

Maybe, but it does seem like a lot for a DV shoot in general. I mean, if I were producing a show and had $1500 budgeted for a shooter, I could find a VariCam owner/operator with a small tungsten, grip, electric package.

But, if Bob can consistently bill $1250 for 9 hours of MiniDV, then my hats off to him. He must have developed a client base that really trusts him. A more typical rate for business-to-business transactions is $400 to $850 a day.

Rafal Krolik January 23rd, 2006 05:57 PM

Craig. I would be editing the video as well and yes, I am definitely using a wireless for best possible sound under whatever conditions come up.
Brian. Granted, Milwaukee might not be a $1250 a day city but on a flip side, a good still photographer could charge that as a day rate. I know some here who go as high as $1400 a day and they have clientelle. Anyway, worst case scenario, I have room to go down.

James Emory January 23rd, 2006 08:41 PM

Bob, did that rate include an audio mixer operator or just the gear for you to operate as well? Audio mixer operators with gear can run $650+ for 10 hours. Your resume is an important thing to consider too. I know of a DP in Atlanta that gets $700 just for labor but his stuff is top shelf. Editing should always be treated as a seperate part of the project if possible because you never know what you're going to get into. It should also be charged hourly. I have eaten many hours in the distant past because I underestimated the time needed to get it done. Not any more.

Bob Costa January 24th, 2006 01:20 AM

Gee, lots of questions...

Note that $1250 a day for corporate work includes an assistant, as well as all basic equipment. I just bid it this way rather than have clients try to save $250-300 on assistant line item and have everyone unhappy at the end. Assistant will also hold boom if there is one, but is not a true sound operator. For a one-cam run & gun with no lights or real setups I charge less and do not require an assistant. I don't charge extra for tape, light bulbs, or gas/travel. Client usually buys lunch if they are smart. Actually I think my rates are low. But as I and everyone else said, resume, experience, market, client base, and sales ability all make a difference.

Other pricing theories best left for another time and thread.

James Emory January 24th, 2006 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Costa
But as I and everyone else said, resume, experience, market, client base, and sales ability all make a difference.

This is correct!

Dave Herring January 24th, 2006 04:55 AM

Very good rate for a DV crew, keep it up Bob.

I typically work for 550/day without a camera. My 'A' camera leases at 650/day and the DV 'B' camera is 400/day.

Pro sound includes wireless, boom, shotguns, lavs, FP33 etc. I can get that guy for 350 to 400/day.

Editing is completely different. At least 125/hr, depending on the work.

All rates are based on experience/reputation.

But if the client wants me for short assignments (plural, more than one), quick turn around packages for example, one day shoot/edit without soundman, 1100/project.

I try to be flexible according to budget and future consideration, to build a working relationship.

Karl Heiner January 24th, 2006 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafal Krolik
Hi Folks. Here is the scenario. One camera person, shooting mini dv on XL2. Video being produced for a major client, ie large corporation, editing. No travel involved, no additional expenses, up to 12 hours per day following client as he conducts daily business.
If this was you, what rate would you charge, daily and hourly. Looking for some $ figures.
Also, in situations like this, is usually the client responsible for getting the necessary releases, property and people, or does the company doing the video needs to worry about it.

Thanks. I need to have a quote done by tonight so please help !!!!

hello rafal,

landed a job,(first full paying job) promo dvd shoot, but no editing, at a enameling studio.

total $ 1564

labor 700 (incl. asst.) 10 hour day
equipment the rest
camera xls-1
light kit, field monitor
but no audio

2 hour pre-meeting at location incl.

greetings