Check This Out -- My Stolen Clips - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old February 6th, 2006, 02:14 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Very good point Joe-

I'm not sure how many people will go through the hassle of ordering a dvd then ripping it-converting it-then editing it. But I guess it is definately a possibility.

What are options to legally go after these kind of people? Just curious...I'd prefer to 'happen' upon them in a dark parking lot...
Lowell Oswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 02:35 AM   #32
Major Player

hey lowell, well....you would be suprised, think of it like this......you got some scumbag like www.integrityvideo.com who has NO DEMO footage but he aspires to be an "event/wedding videographer"...and maybe he "knows" how to shoot but again....he has no footage of weddings, etc. to display to potential clinets, its easy for he/she to call around.....get demos.....re edit them a little, then post them as his/her own.

to understand the scum....we must think like the scum, and that is a VERY easy way to make it all happen.....and if they get shut down like this guy were talking about has....he starts up under a new name...new website. hes like a cocka roacha.......can't get rid of em'.

i live near the scum we're all talking about....i'll do my best to pass the word out here on this guy to every vendor/camera op...ect. its a smaller world than you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell Oswald
Very good point Joe-

I'm not sure how many people will go through the hassle of ordering a dvd then ripping it-converting it-then editing it. But I guess it is definately a possibility.

What are options to legally go after these kind of people? Just curious...I'd prefer to 'happen' upon them in a dark parking lot...
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #33
Major Player

this is the main reason i stopped giving out demos.
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Allen Rosenberger
i live near the scum we're all talking about....i'll do my best to pass the word out here on this guy to every vendor/camera op...ect. its a smaller world than you think.
Hi Joe,

Thanks for spreading the work in your local market. The local vendors really need to know about the low level of ethics www.Integrityvideo.com has. I really wish there was a way to let brides know about it, because they are the ones that will suffer the most form his lack of integrity.
Old February 6th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. Briones
this is the main reason i stopped giving out demos.
Hi A.J.

I know what you mean. It's like a double edged sword. You hate the thought of giving unethical videographers a chance to steal your work. At the same time we just booked a $5500 wedding this morning because we were willing to send a DVD Demo to a bride 100 miles away.

I the case of www.integrityvideo.com , he stole our work from our training materials. Will I stop making training materials? No, because the educational value has done far more to help videograpers than what this guy has done to hurt our industry.

Some have said, how can this guys actions hurt our industry? When the Bride books him based on the abilities of other videographers and then her video doesn't look like the samples she saw on his site, she isn't going to have a very high regard for him or our industy.
Old February 6th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #36
Regular Crew

There really is not much you can do here I think. You would need very deep pockets to litigate and you would also need to prove damages AND they would have to be able to pay.

But, I wouldn't let that sad reality stop you from putting your stuff out there.

In the meantime, perhaps we could all request a copy of their demo to be mailed to us. A few thousand requests for a dvd mailing should be enough to make them choke. And, if not, you know you have someobody worth suing.

Just a thought.
Kim Kinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Well, I just checked the infamous site out and it seems to be down. It's just a gradient background.

I just started my own videography business and I don't have a wedding demo yet. I'm good friends with the owner of a local costume shop (which might have wedding dresses, I don't know yet), and I might stage my own wedding just to have something to show. Is this bad?
Nicholas Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 11:07 AM   #38
Regular Crew

I want to thank those of you who post clips anf allow them to be downloaded.

I only do video for church and as a hobby. Since I do not intend to do this for a living or even seriously, training videos are not practicle. I am currently working on some video shot at my daughter's wedding and working on a slide show of the photographs. I have learned more from watching clips from this forum tan any other sorouce I have found. I learn the most when I download them and watch them again and again looking for what makes them work. Some of them have helped with ideas for editing our church service also.

I hope the actions of a few people do not ruin this learning experience for everyone but I certainly understand your frustration.

Sam
Sam Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 11:48 AM   #39
Major Player

I just thought I'd throw something out here for those who use Adobe Premiere Pro. The newest version, 2.0, will now encode to Flash Video without the need for additional software. I haven't done this yet myself as I am a Vegas user, but I thought that the information might be useful to someone.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:26 PM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Valentine
Well, I just checked the infamous site out and it seems to be down. It's just a gradient background.

I just started my own videography business and I don't have a wedding demo yet. I'm good friends with the owner of a local costume shop (which might have wedding dresses, I don't know yet), and I might stage my own wedding just to have something to show. Is this bad?
this is going a bit off topic, but here in my city there is a company whose samples look very staged. i don't have a problem with it, but some brides i've spoken to have mentioned them by name, and they felt as though they were being sold a lie when they saw the demo.

it might be better to do a couple of weddings on the cheap or free so you can get sample footage. it's also a great way to learn (by way of jumping in the deep end). it's how we started, and our first wedding ($200) is still generating referrals.
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Thanks A.J. I'll go your route.
Nicholas Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 10:55 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Darling
Use Sorensen Squeeze to convert your video files to an flv file. The program costs about 215.00 but well worth the piece of mind. It's on ebay right now with a buy it now for $100 and there's another starting out at $30. You would still need flash to create the .swf. If you don't have flash you could always download the trial to setup your current videos. It's pretty simple.
I was going to mention Premiere Pro 2, but Mike beat me to it..

So enode away then just get something like WimpyAV Player for your website and flash away or design your own player..
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 06:27 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Mark and other posters,

Don't let guys like this ruin the environment for all. There is so much to be learned from watching others work and learning from it. I too had my work passed off by someone else. While this stopped me from passing our project files (AE project) I won't let this stop me from helping move the wedding video industry to a higher level.

The best way to torpedo guys like this is keep pushing your work higher. Posers like this will be shown for what they are in no time. While they may be able to fool a few people for a little while it won't take long for them to fade away.

Along with Joe I will help spread the work in the LA area. Meanwhile we should persue avenues to protect our work via Flash and others. Help each other police ourselves.

Mike
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #44
Major Player

Well, I am guessing that many of the users here pounded this guy at www.integrityvideo.com about the crap he pulled by stealing others work and using it as his own. His site is down, chances are ....he'll do it again so I will be on the "look out" here in Southern Cali, that is where hes located. He also disconnected his phone or changed he number!
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #45
Major Player

Thanks Everyone!

I would like to thank everyone for their support. Here's the latest. Integrityvideo.com is a blank page. I called him and his phone number has been disconnected. So now at least Brides in his area will not be able to easily reach him, and it is the Brides that I wanted to protect the most.

Just for some clarification. He stole clips from our training videos and not our website. Some have encouraged us not to let this guy's lack of integrity stop us from sharing our work. Let me assure you, we will not let one bad apple ruin it for everyone. We will continue to offer training materials, give seminars and have video clips on our website.

I would especially like to thank the local California videographers for spreading the word on this guy and keeping a watch out for him. I will continue to monitor his website.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business