Insuring a camera? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old February 20th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #16
Wrangler

Again, that's why you want an agent. Be honest with them about everything, and ask some "what if" questions. They're who you would call if something was damaged or stolen. As long as you can document that you gave them the full information then you should have a further level of protection under the agent's "errors and omissions" insurance in the event that they sold you the wrong kind of policy.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Boyd, I just talked to my State Farm Agent here in DC, and they were adamant that "inland marine" would not cover $10k in video equipment for freelance production--weddings and local videography only. Have you checked on this?
Dave Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 08:19 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Kazimir
Thanks for your responses.

Boyd, $200 for that much coverage for a year is extremely good. At that price I can't afford not to do it. Do you remember how much the deductible was? I know my policy will differ, just want to get an idea what others have paid to see whether my insurer is giving a good deal.

Robin, good point. Luckily for me I don't drive or own a car so that's not a concern right now.

Don: I will be looking at that link in detail tomorrow. Thanks for posting it.

Lee
The deduction will never come into play because there are so many exclusions that the insurance co. can & will find a reason not to pay.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Another thought occurred to me re-reading this thread. Don't forget to insure your computer and the software that's installed on it either and don't make the mistake of thinking that just because it's in your home, it's covered by your homeowners ploicy. If you claim a home office on your taxes for example, that makes it a business item and not covered. And the software is often worth more than the hardware - Steinberg and some others who use USB keys for copy protection say that if an active key is lost or stolen, the replacement cost is the full value of the software it protects. So that $25 USB device is worth several thousand dollars once it's activated with the license for your copy of Nuendo, for example, and they explicitly state it will NOT be replaced if lost or stolen.
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #20
Major Player

Just a heads up, I called this RNVA agency for insuring my video/photo gear but I was told by them I 'have' to be either be in the wedding or portrait business, otherwise they won't insure me.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business