Charging for videoing - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 9th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #16
Wrangler

Holy Smoke! I've never seen those words in print, Nathaniel. Think I'll print it and put it in a frame! LOL!

Yes, Karl, you knew exactly what you were talking about with the Canon and its notorious "hunts like out of control" in auto focus. :)
Old March 9th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
Holy Smoke! I've never seen those words in print, Nathaniel. Think I'll print it and put it in a frame! LOL!

Yes, Karl, you knew exactly what you were talking about with the Canon and its notorious "hunts like out of control" in auto focus. :)

hello lorinda,

wow..it's like a chat room...lol

ot.
2 days after i got my brand new xl1-s, i had a theater recording, and almost passed out when i saw my $ 5000 camera went on the hunt, so no more auto focus with my baby, but like i said, my sony made all games without any hunting at all.

i think dale will do fine.

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Heiner
hello nathaniel,

just passing on my expirience with the sony 730. don't know anything about the gl2 auto focus performance.

greetings
it all depends on what you are doing. i find the autofocus on xm2/gl2 really good
Nathaniel McInnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #19
Capt. Quirk

I don't know if this will help you any, but I charge $50hr to shoot, $15hr to edit. Prices are negotiable, since I am only using a GL1. If I were to shoot using my XL1s, the price is $50hr, no negotiating. It works for me.
Old March 11th, 2006, 03:04 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Hmm, age old question.
Video depositions: $250 minimum two hours, $75 each hour there after. Post, $75 per hour. If no editing in post, no charge, just dupe tape charge, and most of the time it is just a straight unedited duplicate with the default date time stamp in lower right or left corner (depends on your camera) done in Premiere 6.5 since Pro 1.5 firewire digital does not carry over the date time. This unedited dupe is $40 per tape including shipping and handling. CDs same price.
Life events (weddings etc) $250 per hour with a four hour minium and $250 per hour (or portion) there after. Includes one finished (edit out junk my choice otherwise known as "Directors Cut". If client views tape and instructs on what is out, then $75 per hour editing time, especially if he comes to the editing bay and micro manages the edit, for one edited tape. Additional tapes $40 per tape includes shipping and handling. CD/DVD instead of tape same price. Fancy DVD with chapter etc ??? not requested yet.
Batch capture and tape loggng with PPRO 1.5 real neat and for me a must do to save space, and not capture junk too. That is the reason in film (the big guys using film) at the end of a take that the director says CUT - Print. The previous 99 takes that director did not like are not printed from the negative - yes the neg has to be processed but only the "Print" take is actually saved/printed for editing.
My first music video (currently in production/editing - still need some cut away shots) is a token payment for the reason it is my first and it is for my temple that is producing a music CD with this one cut being made into a music video.
The hardest thing in Video depositions is staying awake. And speaking of staying awake, I'm off to bed for this has been a long, long day and more shooting this morning and over the weekend.
Yours,
Tom
Miami, Florida
Tom Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:59 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen
Good Afternoon,

I have been hired to shoot three basketball games on Saturday. Mileage and meals is no problem to sort out, but what kind of payment for the time and dvd is of interest to me. Post will be minor with just cutting out junk! What would be reasonable?

gus

hello dale,

how did your basketball shoot went?

greetings
Old March 14th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #22
Inner Circle

first shoot

First, Thank you all.

I shot from a 8 foot elevated position, I could not use the tripod so I set up my shoulder brace and manfrotto remote attached just at thumb level.
I zoomed to the net and focused, then baced off until I could fit the jump at center. Pretty much all was in focus through most of the shoot. I did zoom in on some close up shots and such and then refocused on the hoop. It all went pretty well.
I set the camera on TV and set the speed for 100th of a second and filmed. The lighting was very good for a gym and the footage is excellent.
I have been asked back to film their team as they mad to provincial finals so I will be at it again this weekend.
Again,
thank you everone!!

ps. my sony auto focus is far better than my canon, but I prefer the lens on the canon.
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Fee

I forgot,

I charged 80 dollars a game. I will present them with a dvd of each game, post editing only on the final game.

Again your help made my job easier!

Gus
Old March 15th, 2006, 02:35 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen
I forgot,

I charged 80 dollars a game. I will present them with a dvd of each game, post editing only on the final game.

Again your help made my job easier!

Gus

hello dale,

great that everything worked out for you. i think your price sounds fair too.

i just finished to edit the 12 games of my kid. been at the end of 2 weeks. cut them down to 36 min. (about 3 min. per game, more or less) basic titles, and transitions, but some slowmotion effects for fouls. this is my third time, lost everything twice! thats why i don't edit!
the final version looks fine, just need to learn to use the new program. pinnacle studio 8 is very simple.

greetings
Old March 15th, 2006, 02:58 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Dale and Karl,
Sound like you guys had fun, and that is the beauty of we all do ... we get paid for what we would do for free. Thank goodness our significant others keep us on track. Otherwise we we would have to stand on a corner selling pencils, which at times seems like a better choice to finance our passion.
Yours,
Tom
Miami, Florida
Old March 17th, 2006, 11:39 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Friday shoot

hello everyone,

Well, some how on my third game last week I forgot to turn on my rode mic, I have about 7 minutes with no audio, UGggg. I always shoot with head phones when I use the exterrior mic. This time i did not and I paid the price.
tonights game was to get into the medal round. I had to remind myself to not get involved in the game!!

you are right, it is great to get a few dollars to spend on more camera gear!!

I only edited the final game in the regionals. I spent about an hour cleaning it up, making title and for the final credits i put in a moving 3d background with slow roll of each plaerys name. Looks apretty good and i printed up dvd labels so they look nicer than a home cut dvd.
Tomarrow I film the medal game and i will have to focus on filming as apposed to wathing the game!!

thanks for all the information and help. this could become a disease.

dale
Old March 18th, 2006, 01:05 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Go Dale!
BTW, re those paper labels ..... For me and my set tops I put the labels on.
For a friend of mine, who is VERY frugal, we tried to view the dvd I made special for him, and did we have PIXXELS !!! I could not understand it. It played on my set top.
Well, since he was SO frugal his player did not have enough power to spin the dvd and when I removed the paper label, all was good again. It seems that the weight of the paper slowed down the spin rate and thus the pixels.
So for him, he gets the marker pen, which creates, down the line, other problems, or so I have read.
Yours,
Tom
RE: Sound. I sorta over bought an 8track mixer. It is great but in learning I inadvertently had the mute button depressed and did not hear sound from the camera headphone output, even though I was hearing it through the mixing board. Ah, me, nothing like learning on the job. Such fun.
Miami, Florida
Old March 18th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #28
Major Player

hello tom/dale,

like i said, i have finished to edit all the games. did a pre-showing with my family, and bummer...had 2 typos in it....yea (english is my second language)
shoot and shot...well, will leave it the way it is, because it sounds funny, and it's a small gift for the sunday championship party.
@dale
had no problems with audio, so i a sorry to hear about your problem.

greetings
Old March 18th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #29
Capt. Quirk

Tom- What 8track did you get? Any details?
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Avoid paper labels on DVDs. Either the weight or slight off center can cause problems with many players. Over time the glue dries and if the label bubbles or peals it will either become unplayable or even damage the player.

Inkjet printable DVDs are VERY INEXPENSIVE these days and an Epson R220 printer is only $99.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business