Clarification of Video Editing Rates? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 25th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #16
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 475
Lisa, et al,

One thing to remember is that a demo reel is supposed to show what you CAN do, not necessarily what you have done. (its' great if it can be both, but not necessary)
If you have no paying work, create something of your own for your reel. A short, a commercial for a ficticous company, product etc.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #17
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 373
I hear ya

Yeah, Bill, that's actually what i'm currently working on. I'm working on a few different edits to show different things (music video and a vacation video edit to name two). I think once those are complete I'll have a much easier time getting any freelance gig. However, I still think that any editor that is skilled enough to have a nice demo reel should be getting more then $10/hr.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #18
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Shofner
Yeah, Bill, that's actually what i'm currently working on. I'm working on a few different edits to show different things (music video and a vacation video edit to name two). I think once those are complete I'll have a much easier time getting any freelance gig. However, I still think that any editor that is skilled enough to have a nice demo reel should be getting more then $10/hr.
I'm working on that myself for VO now, I don't have much in the way of commercials or radio imaging work, mostly corporate/industrial/educational, but would like to get some, so I jotted down some ideas on the drive back from florida last week. (17 hours in the car means a lot of radio!)

you're correct. a skilled editor is worth a heck of a lot more.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 01:45 PM   #19
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mecca
I'm working on that myself for VO now, I don't have much in the way of commercials or radio imaging work, mostly corporate/industrial/educational, but would like to get some, so I jotted down some ideas on the drive back from florida last week. (17 hours in the car means a lot of radio!)

you're correct. a skilled editor is worth a heck of a lot more.


10 bucks an hour shouldn't even be spoken of out load...lol. Really if you look at it in a national economic view point we're all in this together. Guys who take 10 dollar an hour jobs plain and simple shouldn't be in this business. I don't mean to sound like a snob really, but there has to be a consideration for our market. It effects us all. I've recently been noticing companies like expertvillage.com, and some other companies focused on real estate offering an extremely low amount for quite a bit of work. You find the subject to shoot, probably go shoot a half day, edit, author, and mail, all for how much 100 to 300 dollars?????? That is crazy!! The fact that people are biting this kind of stuff has a suttle threat to our industry. If a person is wanting to venture into the video production realm that's great, but start by getting hired by a company that charges what it's worth and pays you the hourly rate they decide, or start your own gig and be considerate to the current rates in your market.
Daniel Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #20
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: HI
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lang
10 bucks an hour shouldn't even be spoken of out load...lol. Really if you look at it in a national economic view point we're all in this together. Guys who take 10 dollar an hour jobs plain and simple shouldn't be in this business. I don't mean to sound like a snob really, but there has to be a consideration for our market. It effects us all. I've recently been noticing companies like expertvillage.com, and some other companies focused on real estate offering an extremely low amount for quite a bit of work. You find the subject to shoot, probably go shoot a half day, edit, author, and mail, all for how much 100 to 300 dollars?????? That is crazy!! The fact that people are biting this kind of stuff has a suttle threat to our industry. If a person is wanting to venture into the video production realm that's great, but start by getting hired by a company that charges what it's worth and pays you the hourly rate they decide, or start your own gig and be considerate to the current rates in your market.
Your right, problem is technology and affordability.
Gear is so cheap, performance computers, software....it's all so cheap! cheap! cheap!
__________________
_________
Mick
Mick Isdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 05:45 PM   #21
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lang
10 bucks an hour shouldn't even be spoken of out load...lol. Really if you look at it in a national economic view point we're all in this together. Guys who take 10 dollar an hour jobs plain and simple shouldn't be in this business. I don't mean to sound like a snob really, but there has to be a consideration for our market. It effects us all. I've recently been noticing companies like expertvillage.com, and some other companies focused on real estate offering an extremely low amount for quite a bit of work. You find the subject to shoot, probably go shoot a half day, edit, author, and mail, all for how much 100 to 300 dollars?????? That is crazy!! The fact that people are biting this kind of stuff has a suttle threat to our industry. If a person is wanting to venture into the video production realm that's great, but start by getting hired by a company that charges what it's worth and pays you the hourly rate they decide, or start your own gig and be considerate to the current rates in your market.
I disagree a bit. I don't think it's that black or white. $10 from a large company in a large market looking for a large amount of work is obviously an extreme low-ball. But $10 at the local TV station in an Indiana cornfield is not.

Unless you've made your living overcharging clients for basic work because you were the only game in town then I don't think the flood of cheap equipment and sudden rise of competition at the low end is a threat. Top flight editors still get paid top flight money. There is just a new, lower end market that didn't exist 10 years ago. I mean, McDonald's pays people $6/hr to make food, but I don't think that undercuts chefs trying to get gigs at Ruth's Chris Steak House.

It used to be hard to get in the door and the tools were prohibitively expensive. It's still hard to get in the door but now the tools are so inexpensive that "everybody" has them. That hasn't killed the publishing, music, or photography industries and I don't think it will kill post either.

Yeah, if you open up your own business and purposely undercut everyone by 10% that's a bit shady. But, you'll probably end up w/all the low-balling, PITA clients (aka grinders) that the other guys would rather not have anyway. Karma's a bitch. ;)


-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 07:06 PM   #22
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 208
I don't market myself as an editor in the least, but wouldn't it make sense to charge for each finished minute, as opposed to per hour? For example... $7 (or whatever) for each minute of the final cut.

Or would this get you into too much trouble when the footage doesn't want to go together well?
__________________
~Justine

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 07:11 PM   #23
Slash Rules!
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 4,723
No, 'cause what if you were doing a 1 minute commercial, or something, but it took you 30 hours of working with After Effects to complete it?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #24
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 208
Ok! Thought as much.
__________________
~Justine

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #25
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 58
Cheap Technology? Maybe, But The Price of One's "Tools" is Relative

I can't get over peoples' willingness in my locale to pay $18/hr for a house painter, whose tools consist of an assortment of brushes, a couple of ladders, buckets and drop cloths, but look at me like I'm crazy for wanting to charge $20-30/hr. The technology may be cheap relative to what it was a few years back, but I'm not convinced it's all that cheap compared to the tools other craftspeople, technicians, service providers use.
Sam Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #26
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 255
Hourly rate or flat fee?
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:47 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network