Contracts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old July 17th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Contracts

I found a freelance journalist online who wants to help me with a documentary. There is no money yet, but it seems like it could turn out to be profitable.
I don't want to get started on it before we both are clear about who gets what and who owns what.
What kind of contract is appropriate for this?
All the work I've done before this time has been on a job as an employee or subcontractor but I'm on my own now and see that I really need to brush up on my business skills.

Michael
Michael Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Michael,

I'm sure you'll get several different responses on this and a lot of opinions, but it is ultimately worth the money to actually consult an attorney on this type of issue. I cannot address this specific type of contract and its contents from experience as I have not had to deal with anything lke that, but the attorney I hired to draw up my standard design contract was VERY thorough (he thought of a LOT that I hadn't) and was very reasonably priced (I paid $500 for it then a few years ago). While it may be a bit hard to choke down that cost at first if you are just getting started, I can assure you it can (and probably will) save you a lot of hassle and frustration down the road.
Achtung! Das camera ist nicht fur der fingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und popencorken mit spitzen sparken. Das camera ist diggen by experten only. Ist nicht fur gerwerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen das cottenpiken hands in das pockets. Relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.
Chris Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Chris,

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out some lawyers.

Michael
Michael Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business