Venting About A Lesson for Newbies. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old October 1st, 2006, 07:25 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Way to go!

Denis,

Now that is the way I like to see things work out! I'm very happy for you Denis. Sometimes, in business, this is how some valuable and long term relationships are formed.

You should be very proud of your calm and adult manner in handling this situation. Even your posts were all well written and useful. Congratulations!

Mike
Old October 1st, 2006, 10:25 AM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Danatzko
I was resigned to the idea that I was not to get any money for this job.

However, after finally viewing the entire content of the final product, the client was so happy with it, I received a "thank you" card with a very nice hand-written note encouraging me to "keep in touch", and a check for an amount that was WAY beyond anything I might have garnered from selling copies of the DVDs. I shared that with the still photog, who also wasn't expecting any remuneration.

All the reps of the client were great to work with, and I got the sense they felt similarly.

So, not only did I end up with more $ than I expected, I also have a potential future corporate client who likes me AND my work. The same holds true for the still photog.

I couldn't have asked for a happier ending.
That's great to hear Denis! It's good to know that someone out there (your client) still has the common sense to 'do the right thing'. The quality of your work is what got you that check. That says a lot about how good of a job you did when the client feels compelled to pay you something when you asked for nothing.

Best of luck,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 11:46 PM   #18
Major Player

My favorite excuses

I'm a late arrival to this discussion, but I too am glad to hear that it all worked out in the end. I had to deal with waaaay too situations fairly similar to this one when I was starting out. But I once did a job at my regular rate, and then the client unexpectedly called me up a week later and said they had spontaneously decided to double my fee. So good things do happen sometimes.

But bad things seem to happen way more often. I was in the process of writing out a lot of humorous/painful examples of such, but I think I'm going to start a new thread for those... (so disregard this post's title). :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business