DVi Saved me from Ebay Scam! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old July 20th, 2003, 06:41 AM   #16
New Boot

Just a few addons. If you go on to ebay and search under scam, theres a real in-depth explanation about how the scam works.
It seems that the scammers have even set up their own false ebay page to get visiters to input the username and password. The have also setup a false escrow website which they will lead you too. so take care.
Roy Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2003, 04:00 PM   #17
New Boot

I was selling a big ticket item on eBay not too long ago and the creeps really started to come out of the woodwork.

I had exchanged several emails with someone who seemed interested in buying from me, but who I later found out to be using a hijacked account. Luckily, nothing bad happened, but it was an eye-opener nonetheless.

In addition to the above mentioned "red flags", here are some more tips on spotting the scammers:

1. Email the person detailed questions about the product that you are interested in. If you receive a reply with poorly written, broken english, count this as a possible bad sign. Look carefully at the grammar used in the quoted emails in the original post, you can tell that English is not their first language (most of these scams come from Italy and Eastern Europe; Bulgaria, Romania, etc)

2. You can trace the origin of emails from the info in the header (most of the time). Do a search on google for this, it's easy. If the registered eBay seller's location is Waco, Texas, and the emails seem to be coming from Bucharest, I think you may have a problem on your hands...

and an oldie but a goodie,

3. If it is too good to be true, it probably is.

There are obvious scams all over ebay (especially for items like camcorders and laptop computers)

Let's be careful out there!
Blip Pio is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business