how do you find work? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old October 13th, 2006, 06:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

how do you find work?

i'm sort of new to this game.

i've made a well recived film, i've edited an extreme sports tv show, but now i'm finding it hard to get any work.

how do you go about finding work in your area? i'd be pleased to have anywork paid or unpaid. i'll do small jobs, big jobs i'll help ut with anything, i just want some experience to fill out my CV.

so how do you find work? i'm in london, UK by the way if it makes a diffrence.

are there website where i can look for work?
Charles Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 06:47 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from Open DV Discussion to Taking Care of Business.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #3
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

from experience - when one is starting out IMO 70% of media jobs comes down to WHO you know !! you can send resumes/sample reels out and you might get a interview BUT if you know a person/name at the place - they can get you a interview .. you usually need a NAME - you make a call to a place and you use the NAME which usually gets you a interview and/or it will get your reel on the right desk ...
you need to NETWORK .. go to places where media types hand out after work or on friday nights - meet them - pass out cards ... ask if they know who's hiring , need help with project .. if anybody gives you a name/phone # CALL it ...
call persons you've worked with in past/present - ask who's doing what etc.

"i'd be pleased to have anywork paid or unpaid. i'll do small jobs, big jobs i'll help out with anything, i just want some experience to fill out my CV"

in hollywood there are many 100's (probably 1000's) that will work for free to make contacts ... you need to have PERSISTANCE ..have to hear NO many times a day and not let it affect you ... you have to do more then make phone calls -you have to get out there and shake some hands ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #4
Trustee

NETWORKING! For the first time in my life, I am printing up some business cards for a big press run/networking visit to LA. I dont even have a real reel or a website but I have worked steady for the past 10 years and been CRAZY busy since I went 100% freelance last year. Pretty amazing the clients that fall in my lap even living in Broken Arrow, OK. Major League Baseball, huge churches, national TV shows, record labels and now I have a huge deal on the brink of going thru.

You not only must be talented but you have to be a great person, especially at this level. Smile, shake hands, spread the word and be GREAT at what you do.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business