DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Certfied check vs. credit card (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/81660-certfied-check-vs-credit-card.html)

Phillip Palacios December 13th, 2006 08:28 AM

Certfied check vs. credit card

*rant*

Well,
I took the plunge and ordered the HVX200 from B&H. I actually ordered the ENG package (2 4gig cards and P2store) and three extra batteries and some other misc accessories and wilderness sticks.

I placed the order by phone on Wednesday Dec 6, recieved billing instructions and order number by email the same day. The sales associate told me on the phone that if I sent a certified check to them, they could process the order in one day and ship the order either that day or the next.

So I had a certified check made out on Thurday Dec 7 to B&H by my business bank (one of the largest in the midwest) and sent it overnight to B&H. I watched the check and order forms arrive on Friday Dec 8 to B&H before noon via the tracking number. I was hopefull, but realistic about them actually sending out the order on Friday Dec 8.

Nothing, they are closed Saturday, so I had to wait until Monday. I did.

Monday I called, and talked to Customer Service, yes they recieved the check, And they said the order would be shipped "today or tomorrow morning" ok. I waited all day for a tracking number from them. Nothing

Tuesday I called and was told, talked to Customer Service and they referred me to Verification, where I was informed that they needed to verify the check funds with my account... well, that won't work! The Bank took the funds OUT of my account to MAKE the certified check! B&H said that they could verify it, but it would cost them $5 and "that's a lot of money." well, I just order $12,000 worth of equipment from them, probably small peas compared to what they usually do, but that is still a lot of money! wouldn't that $5 verification be considered the cost of business? If I used a credit card, which I should have, they would have been charged a lot more than $5 to make the transaction. Anyway, after a very interesting 3way call with B&H silent on the line with me and the Bank, They said o.k. we'll ship it out either today or tommorrow morning.

I still don't have a confirmation or tracking number, They are just holding the check.

So I am a little steamed, not a lot. I like B&H, they have good product and are, up until now, very reliable. But honestly, why wouldn't they just say "even if it is a certified check, we wait for it to clear before shipping your order." I was promised somthing 3 times and now three times they have failed the promise. I wish now that I would have either driven to chicago to purchase this camera or ordered it from a differant dvinfo sponser that would be UP FRONT with their policies and procedures. That's all I want! If you want 5 days or whatever to process the check, even though it is a certified check, that's fine, just tell me that up front!

Sorry for the rant. I just needed to let it out to somone other than my wife who rolls her eyes and says (with wisdom) "it's just a camera."

Phil

Boyd Ostroff December 13th, 2006 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillip Palacios
If I used a credit card, which I should have

Sorry to hear about your problems Phillip. But I think the quote above actually sums things up. IMO it is a big mistake not to use a credit card when making any mail order/internet purchase. Aside from the issues you encountered, the credit card gives you a number of other protections under the consumer credit laws. And if you have the right kind of card, a $12,000 purchase would probably give you enough frequent flier miles to take a nice trip somewhere :-)

Also, NEVER use a debit card for this sort of thing. Not at all the same as a credit card because the money is immediately withdrawn from your account. I have several friends with horror stories related to that...

Hopefully your camera will arrive soon and you can put this all behind you. I understand how frustrated you are, but I also think your wife has a good perspective on things ;-)