DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Who'll give me free legal advice? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/8352-wholl-give-me-free-legal-advice.html)

Josh Bass April 4th, 2003 12:56 AM

Who'll give me free legal advice?

Spike and Mike, the animated film people, have decided the would like to pay for the usage of my animated movie, "The Ninjews." I have not seen the contract yet (I believe they're going to mail it any time now), but over the phone, one of the told me they'd "want it all, and take what they can get." I'm wondering if one of you kind gentlemen, or ladies, with knowledge of media law could help me not get screwed and still make some decent scratch, none of which, of course, will go to you personally.

What I'd like is a list of the rights you can sell, and what they entail. I can't remember jack from my media law classes in college.

Dylan Couper April 22nd, 2003 10:00 AM

Josh, how long have you been out of college for? If it's recently, I'd go back and talk to your media law professor for free legal advice.

Richard Alvarez April 22nd, 2003 10:58 AM

Josh,

Here in Houston you get free legal advice from Texas Accountants and Lawyers for the Arts.

Call them

Bill

Robert Poulton April 22nd, 2003 03:14 PM

Did they want to buy it from you or just have the right to distrubute your works? It is something that is key to think about. Do you want them to own it or do you still want to own it.?

Rob:D

K. Forman April 22nd, 2003 03:44 PM

Way to go Josh!

Josh Bass April 22nd, 2003 06:46 PM

The original contract asks for everything. I told 'em they weren't getting the copyright, and I meant to tell them they wouldn't get anything else exclusively (not sure if I did, though). One of the things they wanted was merchandising rights, for Tshirts, videos, DVDS, etc. I told them they would have to pay me part of whatever they made off of those sales, and the guy said they'd never done it like that before, that it had always been a flat payment for the ancilliary rights. Now he wants a counter offer, and I have no idea what to tell him.

John Locke April 22nd, 2003 06:51 PM

Josh,

Run...do not walk...to the Texas Accountants and Lawyers for the Arts.

K. Forman April 22nd, 2003 07:18 PM

Where is Paul Tauger when you need him? Probably in a phone booth changing into SuperLawyer!

Anyways, on a more serious note, you need to get royalties for this gem. In fact, I would love to watch it again... and again... Is it still online somewhere?

Josh Bass April 22nd, 2003 09:05 PM

Paul should still have it on his site. I will run, but not till tomorrow, when they're open. Believe me, I want to milk it for everything I can.

By the way. . .this post went up weeks ago. . .how come everyone's just now noticing it? Maybe I live in a time warp.

The movie was up on Paul Sedillo's site before, but now it appears not to be. I tried sending it to ifilm, but when I registered with them, I could never figure out what my ID number was, so oh well.

Dylan Couper April 23rd, 2003 12:40 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Josh Bass : By the way. . .this post went up weeks ago. . .how come everyone's just now noticing it? Maybe I live in a time warp.
-->>>

I moved it back to the top when I saw no one had replied to it after a while.

Josh Bass April 23rd, 2003 01:09 AM

You sweet thing! If I was a woman I'd kiss you.

Ken Tanaka April 23rd, 2003 01:37 AM

Oh, Josh, never say something like that before you get a good look at the target.

Josh Bass April 23rd, 2003 02:36 AM

Works for me.

K. Forman April 23rd, 2003 05:37 AM

Wow! Ken... I knew you were an old man too... but, hanging out with a group that young always makes you look older! :)

Ken Tanaka April 23rd, 2003 10:47 AM

Keith, did I ever tell you about my Sachtler Seniors tripod that converts to a walker? It's pretty cool.