DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   crediting copyrighted music (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/84539-crediting-copyrighted-music.html)

Lorne Mathre January 22nd, 2007 01:24 PM

crediting copyrighted music

We have received permission to use U2's song "elevation" in a production we are doing as long as we use the appropriate credits...There in lies my problem. WHAT IS THE APPROPRIATE CREDITS???? I was instructed to mention Universal music group and the band, but I want to make sure I do it exactly as it should be. Thanks in advance

Greg Boston January 22nd, 2007 01:43 PM

I would just look at a major motion picture's ending credits. It usually lists all the pertinent information and if you copy the style of the high-end Hollywood style credits, you should be safe.

Just a thought,

-gb-

Nate Weaver January 22nd, 2007 01:43 PM

A good guide for this would be the music credits in any wide-release movie. From memory, it goes something like:

"Elevation"
performed by U2
written by xxx
xxx publishing 2006

But take a look at a movie, don't take my word for it.

I really hate to take your thread off topic, but HOW in the world were you able to license that song?! That one is a big money maker for them, I'm sure. Are you sure you have legit permission/licensing? Or if you're not sure, is your project low-enough profile to fly under the radar?

Greg Boston January 22nd, 2007 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
A good guide for this would be the music credits in any wide-release movie.

Great minds think alike, eh Nate?

-gb-

Lorne Mathre January 22nd, 2007 02:09 PM

Great minds

Yeah guy's thanks. I was thinking the same thing, but was hoping to get it done today. I'll check when I get home this evening and see exactly how it is credited. That format looks just about right though. As for getting rights to the song, we are producing a non-profit promotional DVD that will be used to educate, inspire, and yada-yada-yada for a government space agency that should probably not be mentioned by name. Not thAt there'S Anything wrong with that.

David W. Jones January 22nd, 2007 06:10 PM

I'm kind of surprised that Paul & Craig let you use the song.

Ash Greyson January 22nd, 2007 06:13 PM

It is actually pretty easy on non-profit stuff, especially if it has large reach. There are some tax benefits to the music publishers.

ash =o)

Kevin Randolph January 22nd, 2007 07:02 PM

Who do you ask to get permission? I couldn't even get the right person on the phone last November (spent nearly 40 hours in two weeks trying to find the right person) to get an Alabama song for a non-profit. Granted it was for a much smaller production, but where do you start to ask? If I could find out, I'm in post right now for another project - same client - and getting the rights to use Alabama's "Angels Among Us" would be great...

Thanks in advance for any help...

Kevin

Lorne Mathre January 23rd, 2007 07:52 AM

Not sure if that song is part of Universal's, but the legal department here went to the folowing:

universal music enterprises | 2220 colorado avenue, third floor | santa monica, california 90404

Don Donatello January 23rd, 2007 12:34 PM

make sure you have the permission in writing ..
years ago we got verbal permission to use a Enya song for restricted use at film festivals only ...
turns out the person that gave the OK did not have the power to give that OK .... film played at one festival and then we had to pull the song = remix ..

Ben Winter January 23rd, 2007 08:21 PM

www.rightsworkshop.com

Chris Gorman February 4th, 2007 11:43 PM

how do I contact Enya et al to ask for permission

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Donatello
make sure you have the permission in writing ..
years ago we got verbal permission to use a Enya song for restricted use at film festivals only ...
turns out the person that gave the OK did not have the power to give that OK .... film played at one festival and then we had to pull the song = remix ..

Do you have the contact info for Enya? I'm working on a doc and hoping they'll give us the ok to use a song - or if it costs, i wonder how much it might be for a no budget worthwhile documentary not going to theatre distribution.

Michael Nistler February 12th, 2007 01:19 AM

Copyright Types

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorne Mathre
We have received permission to use U2's song "elevation" in a production we are doing as long as we use the appropriate credits...There in lies my problem. WHAT IS THE APPROPRIATE CREDITS???? I was instructed to mention Universal music group and the band, but I want to make sure I do it exactly as it should be. Thanks in advance

Lorne,

What type of rights did you receive from your contact?

- Performance
- Mechanical
- Syncronization

Does your contact provide each of these, or coordinate through other sources? Hopefully your written agreement clearly covers the permissions (and restrictions) granted. Certainly their legal department will be happy to provide approved words to protect their copyrights.

Regards, Michael

Kit Hannah February 12th, 2007 03:39 AM

This is why I firmly believe that you should do your own music or have a talented musician be involved with your project. Many struggling musicians will do things next to nothing. Even if you have to pay $200 for a royalty free song, you may as well have somebody do something specific, and you may be able to get away with a lot less. Many guys would just be happy to be apart of something that potentially could get them noticed.

We purchased a M-Audio keystation 88 Midi Interface and now is how we compose music. It doesn't have to be anything rediculously expensive, and for less than the cost of most "royalty free" music collections, we have capabilities to make anything we want, with any instrument. Takes a bit of getting used to, but will save you a lot of hassle and money in the end.

Paul Tauger February 14th, 2007 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorne Mathre

What form did this "permission" take? If you have a license, how credit must be given will be spelled out quite clearly. If what you have is less than a license, you might want to talk to a lawyer about the risks of going forward.