DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Business laws... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/85117-business-laws.html)

Scott Welch January 29th, 2007 01:43 PM

Business laws...

Well I am getting my "business" started up soon in video editing and filming events, graduations, weddings, etc... So I was curious, if I start my own business can it be run inside of my apartment I got all the equipment, but I am just curious about the zoning laws and if there would be any problems running it under a business name and not just for example "Scott Welch's Video Productions".

If anyone needs to know more let me know...

Mike Teutsch January 29th, 2007 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Welch
Well I am getting my "business" started up soon in video editing and filming events, graduations, weddings, etc... So I was curious, if I start my own business can it be run inside of my apartment I got all the equipment, but I am just curious about the zoning laws and if there would be any problems running it under a business name and not just for example "Scott Welch's Video Productions".

If anyone needs to know more let me know...

You need to go to your city hall and ask them. Most will require that you get a license, and maybe even some insurance. Most will limit you from having customers come to your place of business, so you will have to do all of the traveling. If you use a name other than just Scott Welch, you will probably need to file for a fiticous name with your state. Some areas will restrict the amount of space you use also. An apartment may complicate things further in some areas. You will for sure not be allowed to have a customer come to your apartment. Don't even bother to ask the landlord :).......

Just go to your city hall, business license section and ask. In your information you don't even have the state your in, so no one can give any more info than this.

Mike

Lisa Shofner January 29th, 2007 02:16 PM

La Crosse in California right? You do need a business license and you have to run a fictitious name ad in the paper if your business name is anything other then your name (and you want to ad Video Productions to yours so that is a fictitious name). I ran a small business out of my place in CA in 1997/1998, that's how I know about that.

Business license was cheap (it's usually county based or city based), the fictitious ad was more expensive to run then it should have been. Definitely check with your local city hall and ask them. They usually are pretty easy to deal with if you are nice about it all.

You'll also want to check with your insurance company and never have a customer come to your place unless you have liability insurance (in case they trip and sue you, etc).

Mike Teutsch January 29th, 2007 02:18 PM

Gee, I was thinking La Crosse, Georgia! And Wisconsin!

Mike------:)

Scott Welch January 29th, 2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
You need to go to your city hall and ask them. Most will require that you get a license, and maybe even some insurance. Most will limit you from having customers come to your place of business, so you will have to do all of the traveling. If you use a name other than just Scott Welch, you will probably need to file for a fiticous name with your state. Some areas will restrict the amount of space you use also. An apartment may complicate things further in some areas. You will for sure not be allowed to have a customer come to your apartment. Don't even bother to ask the landlord :).......

Just go to your city hall, business license section and ask. In your information you don't even have the state your in, so no one can give any more info than this.

Mike

Wisconsin... I got a paper that helped out a bit... Thanks for your advice.

Mike Teutsch January 29th, 2007 02:22 PM

OK, Wisconsin it is! I'm late as usual. :)

Mike

Greg Boston January 29th, 2007 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Welch
Wisconsin... I got a paper that helped out a bit... Thanks for your advice.

It would be really nice if you would go ahead and put that in your profile. Locations are very important in an international forum such as this. We need to know what part of the world you come from so that regional/national/continental differences can be understood up front.

Thanks in advance,

Greg Boston
Wrangler

Scott Welch January 29th, 2007 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston
It would be really nice if you would go ahead and put that in your profile. Locations are very important in an international forum such as this. We need to know what part of the world you come from so that regional/national/continental differences can be understood up front.

Thanks in advance,

Greg Boston
Wrangler

Fixed it. ()

Kevin Myhre January 30th, 2007 12:07 PM

Hey Scott.

I just moved from Lacrosse in August. If I remember right the one time I was looking at setting up a business just go down to the courthouse. They should be able to help you out. You will have to pay for lot's of license type stuff from what I remember but they should be able to answer any of your questions. When I went the guy wasn't to helpfull on the whole name of the company thing, just told me it would take to long to find out if the name was taken and just use my own name. But I guess that's Lacrosse for you. LOL