advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old February 8th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #1
New Boot

advice

I have an opportunity to go to Belize to film 3 different tours of Myan ruins it will be all expenses paid for me and 1 other camera man plus 2 free days for me to do as I please. It will be put together in DVDs for sale.
My question is what should I charge? I was thinking instead of a flat rate a percentage 5% of DVD sales is that to much. They are hoping to sell 3000 a week in peak season.
Any comments or concerns Equipment Ect. Would be greatly appreciated Darrell
Darrell Cornett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Man I was just there last month-nice place ;-)

As far as gear-just keep it dry and keep it close
As for charges-well since they're paying your expenses why not take say 5 to 10% off your normal day rate OR YOU pay your expenses and charge them what ever you full rate is plus for the 2nd operator and expenses.
In either case total it up call it a package and give it to them. They're either take it or not. If not they'll probably come back with some riduculously low figure which you walk away from and then comes the fun part- at least for me- negotiate to a figure you can live with and so can they.
Remember 5% of nothing is nothing-at least charge something per day per person so if the DVD doesn't sell you haven't gone to a beautiful place that is full of interesting things to see and do and that you MIGHT not get to on your own and NOT gotten paid for your time.
OR you can hire ME and I'll charge them do the job give you a cut and send you a nice postcard ;-O
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #3
New Boot

advice

Don thanks
The DVDs will be marketed in all the shops on site also on the cruise ships and I see what you are saying its a gamble but it could also bring in income for sometime if go's as pland I will have to give it some thought.
Darrell
Darrell Cornett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #4
Major Player

Darrell, I would charge your normal day rate for shooting. Maybe even increase the price by 10% since you have to go out of the country, go thru customs and so on. As far as the % of DVD sales, make sure you have a contract that says what % you get, and have a way to track the sales records. They can sell 5000 of these and tell you they sold 500. You need to have access to all sales records from the company that is selling the dvd's. I"m not a lawyer, but if you want a % of dvd sales (royalties) I highly sugggest you get a lawyer who has experience in entertainment law, and recouping royalty fees. Like Don said keep your gear close, I just got back from there last moth too, it's a beautiful place. Bring rain gear for you and the equipment, you'll need it. They told us they've had more rain than normal, and it's been a "wet" dry season so far this year. The ruins there are really interesting. You'll have a great time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business