DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Google Ad-Words worth the money? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/86314-google-ad-words-worth-money.html)

Scott Jaco February 12th, 2007 02:30 PM

Google Ad-Words worth the money?

Hi,

Does anyone else on here use Google AdWords to promote their business.
I've been using it the past 2 months and have received 236 clicks but I have yet to receive 1 call or e-mail through adwords.

Is this a waste of money?

Kit Hannah February 12th, 2007 02:49 PM

It depends on what you're doing, but it usually only works for the bigger companies. It's not very cost effective. What I would do is spend the money instead on some really nice business cards, maybe a brochure or a video highlight type DVD of past work you have done and give those out to potential customers. Also, targeted emailing with a decent website always helps, and doesn't cost you anything. If you know of companies doing events in your town, or schools, etc - try making contact by email or going in and dropping off a DVD of what you can do.

Scott Jaco February 12th, 2007 03:30 PM

Those are great ideas.

I also think you are right about AdWords not being for the "little guys". It's too expensive. It seems like $3 per click isn't even enough to land my ad on the first page of results for the "wedding video" keyword.

Steven Davis February 12th, 2007 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Jaco
Those are great ideas.

I also think you are right about AdWords not being for the "little guys". It's too expensive. It seems like $3 per click isn't even enough to land my ad on the first page of results for the "wedding video" keyword.

Hey Scott,

One of the best things you can do for your website is to keep it up to date, making changes etc. Google likes activity.

And by the way, I'm glad you're not in my area with those prices. Hehe. You are very economical. I'm not cracking on you. Nice picture of the camera btw.

Scott Jaco February 12th, 2007 03:53 PM

Thanks.

I think craigslist has been more successful for me because it seems more localized. A potential client can select the city and the type of service they want and find people in their area.

When people see an ad on google, the company could be located ANYWHERE in the country. You are stuck being a needle in a haystack.

I’m charging about half of what I feel my service & experience is worth. It’s the price you pay to compete in a place like LA. Too many wannabe filmmakers & directors trying to make a few bucks on the side I guess.

I still lose gigs to people that are more "affordable"

Steven Davis February 12th, 2007 04:05 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

I think craigslist has been more successful for me because it seems more localized. A potential client can select the city and the type of service they want and find people in their area.

When people see an ad on google, the company could be located ANYWHERE in the country. You are stuck being a needle in a haystack.

I’m charging about half of what I feel my service & experience is worth. It’s the price you pay to compete in a place like LA. Too many wannabe filmmakers & directors trying to make a few bucks on the side I guess.

I still lose gigs to people that are more "affordable"

Hey Scott, I thought about your location as soon as I hit [Submit Reply]. I didn't mean anything by it. Eventually you'll either want to move to a non-saturated area or you'll find your nitch. That's good that Craigs List is working for you. It's all about trial and error, unfortunately, it can be expensive trial and error. The most money I've ever tossed was on a bridal gown chain. It was an expensive marketing lesson.

Jim Michael February 12th, 2007 04:21 PM

The best thing you can do for Web exposure is to come up with a freebie that will drive traffic to your site. A good article such as a project planning guide will, over time, result in numerous links to your website.

Josh Chesarek February 12th, 2007 04:48 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

Google allows businesses to Advertise in any Zip code they want or Nation wide. You are correct it would be pointless to advertise a area based business if you couldn't target your own area. I film soccer games for my college and have had 1 parent find me because of it who never knew that I sold copies of the games. I still have credit from my webhost so I havent paid for anything. I have had 30 clicks to my website so far. I probably wouldn't pay for it out of pocket as word of Mouth does seem better for me but I am not activly trying to use the system.

Scott Jaco February 12th, 2007 06:11 PM

I'm aware that you can select the zipcodes w/ Adwords. I selected LA & the surrounding areas.

Like I said, I got 236 clicks in 2 months without any response.

I wonder if Google "pings" the number of clicks so they can charge you more?

Seems strange that I didn't get a single response. I've suspended the account indefinitely. I'm tired of throwing money away on them.

Scott Jaco February 12th, 2007 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Eventually you'll either want to move to a non-saturated area or you'll find your nitch.

Know of any good un-saturated areas to set up an event video business?

I'll move there tomorrow!

Kit Hannah February 13th, 2007 02:16 AM

Holy Hell, $3 per click? I thought it was in the .25 cent range. You just threw away one of your platinum packages, Scott! Seriously though, It looks like you have a decent thing going. $800 for a single camera is not too bad, but you could do better, especially with the equipment you're using. We can get $300 just for the rental of a JVC HD-110.

The client that you're appealing to is always going to be questioning you versus the lower priced guy. You could be charging $5000 for the same thing, and a different set of clients is going to tell you their guy will do it for $4500. That's the way business works. You just have to show them why you're the guy to go with. Are you offering a little more? Do you produce better work? Are you going to give them better customer service? If the answer is no to any of those questions, they probably should go with the lower priced guy.

If you're happy with $800, but think you're worth $1600 for the same thing, why not advertise $1600 then come down a bit on your prices if need be - you can negotiate a rate and probably still come out ahead, and the client will feel like they have gotten a good deal. Everybody wants a deal.

Scott Jaco February 13th, 2007 10:07 AM

I've tried rasing my rates. A few months back I added $100 to each of my three packages. I didn't land a client for 2 months straight until I lowered my prices back to where they are now.

I truely believe that video is undervalued because of the public perception generated by these $200 1-chip camcorders that flood the consumer market.

When they hire a videographer, their expectations are really low. They only expect it to look slightly better than a home movie. That is the perception I am fighting against when I'm selling my services to clients.

Again, Los Angeles is the toughest places to start a video business. You can either charge a small amount and get some work, or charge a lot and get nothing.

Until I have a really steady flow of work, I have to just deal.

Jason Robinson February 14th, 2007 12:29 PM

The next one...

Quote:

I truely believe that video is undervalued because of the public perception generated by these $200 1-chip camcorders that flood the consumer market.

Feel free to use my idea, but I think my next wedding will be filmd wiht at least 2 cameras.... one of them will be a bottom of the pile consumer point and film manned by someone with out a tripod standing in the back of the room. The other camera will be my rig after my full editing. I don't feel that is dishonest, I think it accurately represents what "Uncle Bob" can do for the client versus what we can do.

Then I plan to edit the Bob footage in to a demo reel that demonstrates what they may get from Bob versus me, even using a split screen to show the same scene side by side.

Of course, I need to get another wedding client in order to be able to do that. :-)

jason

Scott Jaco February 14th, 2007 07:31 PM

That is awesome!

Martin Pauly February 15th, 2007 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson
Of course, I need to get another wedding client in order to be able to do that. :-)

Yes, with a bride that is willing to look bad on one of the two videos (at least in the side by side comparison) - good luck with that! :-)

- Martin