Social on invoice? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old April 17th, 2003, 03:53 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

Social on invoice?

I just did a paid gig, and the guy I worked for wants an invoice with several things on it, including my social security number. Is this normal practice? Isn't your social one of those things people can use to do bad things to yoU?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 04:13 PM   #2
Major Player

No, no, no, no! Don't do it! Uh UH! Ixnay! Fuggiddaboutit.

Not a good idea.
Old April 17th, 2003, 04:25 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Yes, you do need to include it, for tax purposes. They need either an EID (employer identification number) or your SSN. If you're in business for yourself, this will be a common practice. Whoever hired you will need to issue a Form 1099 to the IRS which identifies you as a receiver of their money, usually marked as "non-employee compensation" or "other income." You'll get a copy of it at the end of the year for your own tax purposes, but unless your business has a federal ID number, then you'll need to use your SSN instead. It's nothing to worry about; I've been doing it this way myself for years. Generally this is done any time an amount over $1000 changes hands as in paid gigs like this. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 04:28 PM   #4
Warden

It think a lot of businesses have tighten up. I get 1099ed on almost any amount these days. Some companies have me invoice my labor separate from my expenses. So, I might submit an invoice for mileage and they 1099 me for $10.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 08:49 AM   #5
Major Player

Yup - It's a tax thing. And like Jeff said any amout can be 1099'd. Whenever I contract anyone to do anything, they get 1099'd.
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 09:15 PM   #6
Slash Rules!

I've never been 1099d. . .
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 10:01 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

If they're asking for your SSN, then you're about to be 1099'ed. Nothing to fear. In fact you'll have a hard time getting paid without it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 07:36 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I even got 1099'ed for a small job I did for an order of nuns. So is life.
Old April 19th, 2003, 07:56 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Getting an EIN (Employers Identification Number) is part of being a business. Take it seriously, and you get treated seriously. It's a nine-digit number, like a SS# only it's divided differently.

Instead of 000 -12 -3456
It's 00-0000123

If you are dealing with professional businesses, they will expect your SS# or aTIN/EIN
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 08:31 AM   #10
Major Player

The SSN thing has been a source of aggravation to me for years. While "they" are telling you to safeguard your SSN with your life, at the same time "they" keep demanding your SSN for everything.

I know as a Sole-propietor you don't need a federal ID, and can use your SSN instead. However, I have been advised that it may be well worth the hassel to get the fed number. Especially in light of the events going on with identity theft nowadays.

Just my opinion.
Old April 19th, 2003, 07:31 PM   #11
Slash Rules!

Well, if my identity gets stolen, I'll fly to Lousiana (where this guy's company is based) and kick his ass. They won't be able to charge me with assault as I'll have no identity, or they'll come to the conclusion that I kicked my OWN ass, and drop the charges.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business