bh photo video customer service at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Closed Thread

Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:16 AM   #1
Trustee

bh photo video customer service

As one of the sponsors of this site I was wondering what people's experiences have been with their customer service?

I have had nothing but problems when things aren't right. They often give very curt replies and often just ignore. I have been waiting for a month for a missing french flag and a few screws. I have emailed them a dozen times and get fobbed off every time, one line replies or like now completely ignored.

Pretty poor considering I have spent close to 30 grand with them in the past six months.

Phil
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:20 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I have had nothing but good service from them. Please remember that they are New Yorkers and sometimes the way New Yorkers communicate with themselves and others seems curt. It generally is not meant that way. It is just a different way of communicating. Nothing meant by it.

Mike
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:26 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I've had good experiences with them.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 11:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Something has changed with B&H online ordering fulfillment. They once offered a very fast turnaround, but now it takes a couple days of "processing" time before the product ships.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 11:46 AM   #5
Regular Crew

That may have been your experience, but in the past month I've placed two orders that were shipped the same day of the order....which is also the same experience I've had over ten years of using this vendor.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've ordered dozens of times from them over the past 3 years and have had nothing but positive experiences with them.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 03:18 PM   #7
Major Player

I've ordered plenty of stuff from them with no problems. And most of the time, every one else has the same experience.

I have heard about horror stories though. It seems like either things go well or they tend to go very poorly. Not sure if there is any common thread among the problems.

The worst I had was an order being held up for credit card verification. It was a delay of about a day and I'm still not sure exactly why there was a problem.

I'll still order from them.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 05:51 PM   #8
Trustee

its really frustrating. They can be great but when things go wrong it's so hard to sort out. their email customer service is appaling
Old March 3rd, 2007, 01:26 AM   #9
Major Player

I'm with you, Phil. I've done about $80k in business with them the past year or two. They are a FABULOUS company when all goes well. They are extremely reliable and rarely have delayed any shipments or gotten anything wrong on any of my orders.

HOWEVER, if something goes wrong you are in deep stuff. :-) Last I remember, they didn't even have a phone menu for customer services, which is odd for a company that size. The couple times I needed to change an order after it had been submitted were horrible...

Good luck with it. Not much else to say...
Old March 3rd, 2007, 08:04 AM   #10
Major Player

I buy from them all the time and ALWAYS recommend them on this site. Understand when dealing with any company's customer service that there may be issues from time to time. If you ever go there and buy in person (which I highly recommend) they are great to deal with. They were very helpful in my last purchase.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:23 AM   #11
Major Player

I agree B&H reps are somewhat curt on the phone but I just take it for East coast personality :)

Otherwise they have been pretty ideal to work with; in regards to ordering, returns, and even instances where the screw-up was my fault, they have always resolved it.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:52 PM   #12
Major Player

I'm with Ben: "I just take it for East coast personality." I've ordered from them three times in 2006. First two went off without a hitch but the third item, Jeesh what a headache.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 07:23 PM   #13
Major Player

I had an order issue with them once, and they way I found to have it resolved was to call, have a specific goal of resolution in mind, and explain to them that it was costing them more to put me off (cost of operator's time, expense of 1-800#, cost of manager's time, etc.) than to resolve my issue. It still took two days, and quite a few phone calls, but they did resolve it. I just wish that the, "How can I solve your problem?" attitude had been there to start with. In my opinion, a little understanding goes a long way.
Old March 4th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #14
Major Player

Love them. Best store in the world for anoraks like me. My father in-law lives on W43rd & 9th so it's very handy when I need to disappear from all that family stuff. In fact he normally comes with me as he's a retired features DOP.
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #15
Major Player

I think the comment above about being located in New York, and being somewhat blunt is true, and it's just a regional thing (they're really OK!).

That said, I've had major issues dealing with Customer Service for the past few orders, after getting great service from them up until then, and my sense is that they be having growing pains. But they really do have very good prices and a very wide selection of items.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business