DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Folks who have filmed in the Boston area in here please. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/8815-folks-who-have-filmed-boston-area-here-please.html)

Mark Argerake April 20th, 2003 06:21 PM

Folks who have filmed in the Boston area in here please.

I'm considering producing a short film to be filmed in Boston. A large portion of the story takes place in a T station and on the green line. Has anyone done this before? I'm wondering what kind of hoops I'd have to jump through to pull this off with out having to pay a fortune to do it. I'm going to be speaking with the Boston Film Bureau on Wednesday and I'm not sure what to expect from them. I used to live back there but now I'm in SoCal, so a lot of this is going to setup via phone calls and emails. Any and all advice is welcome.

Charles Papert April 21st, 2003 12:17 AM

Used to ride the Green Line to high school in Brookline...!

The Film Bureau should be able to point you in the right direction. Also, I'm thinking about the film "Next Stop Wonderland" which shot a chunk on the T (Blue Line, hence the "Wonderland" part of the title). The line producer was Mark Donadio, who has produced a number of indies. If you are able to locate him (perhaps through the bureau, or you could try Central Booking at 617-277-5700), feel free to mention my name as a reference.

Don Berube April 21st, 2003 12:55 AM

Hi Mark,

You are on the right track with the Mass Film Bureau. I suggest that you let them be your point of contact with the MBTA. Just make sure you keep on top of them as they can get pretty busy this time of year.

I'm based in Boston. Actually in Davis Square in Somerville, right next to Harvard Square in Cambridge. Will be shooting tomorrow for the Boston Marathon.

Keep in touch should you have any questions,

- don

Charles Papert April 21st, 2003 06:39 AM

Don:

Every now and then I think about knocking back a huge plate of ribs at Redbone's along with a nice pint or seven of microwbrews, and it makes me a little homesick!

Mike Butler April 29th, 2003 05:07 PM

Or maybe a big chowda and some yankee pot roast at Durgin-Park then across the street to The Rack for some 8-ball?

Don Berube April 29th, 2003 09:16 PM

Hi Charles,

I didn't know that you were originally from this area! How long have you been away? I will think of you next time I go to RedBones and consume some Catfingers and a Combo Plate hehe

- don

P.S.: Now if we could only get RedBones to become the official caterer of dvinfo.net! haw! http://redbonesbbq.com

Charles Papert April 30th, 2003 01:43 AM

Don:

Been gone six years now. I lived (at various times) in Brookline, Cambridgeport and out in Western Mass. (Northampton and Amherst). Trolled around Davis Sq. plenty, between the aforementioned Redbones (dated one of the waitresses), various coffeeshops and bars--the names of which are, of course, slipping my mind--was it the Druid across the street from Redbones? And one of the bands I played in was regularly at Johnny D's, is that still there?

Can't say as I miss the winters though. Especially all that I heard about this one!

Mark Argerake April 30th, 2003 06:27 AM

I've been gone almost 13 years -- I do miss the winters, or at least the seasons changing.

I was more of a Kenmore Square kinda guy. Spent time over at the Rat and Fathers 5. And couldn't go more than two days with out a stop at Boss Deli.

Charles Papert April 30th, 2003 01:04 PM

Mark:

Have you seen what Kenmore Sq. looks like these days? BU has taken over and knocked down the entire block from the Rat all the way to the east to put up a hotel. Never thought that area was going to gentrify, but like everywhere else in that city, there it goes! (And yeah, I used to party at both those places too!)

Mark Argerake April 30th, 2003 02:31 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Charles Papert : Mark:

Have you seen what Kenmore Sq. looks like these days? BU has taken over and knocked down the entire block from the Rat all the way to the east to put up a hotel. Never thought that area was going to gentrify, but like everywhere else in that city, there it goes! (And yeah, I used to party at both those places too!) -->>>

What?!?! I've been gone to long. I guess I need a visit. That makes me so sad. I'm going to have to get someone to take some pics or me.

Next your going to tell me the clubs on Landsdown Street ( or whatever the curent name is) are all gone and Newbury Comics moved to a multi-story building on Boylston... I went nuts when I found out the tore the garden down just to rebuild.