Need advice on a career change - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 26th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #16
Major Player

*Begin Rant*

Forget Video. Go into some aspect of construction. We've just spent the last 2 weeks building out our new office / studio and we did it ourselves. Fun stuff - bought me one of those Hitachi Framing Nailers (pneumatic) and framed up the whole place in an hour. People always need stuff done on their houses, business, etc. Video is cool and all, but most of the time it's a luxury item for companies / people. I think i'm gonna sell everything and do some framing or painting. At least I'll be able to go home at 5 and have a life. With video, it's 80 hours a week for me and non-stop editing of cheerleaders, fashion shows, documentary stuff...blah blah blah.

*Rant Over*
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:30 AM   #17
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

"though PA might be too low in the food chain for me and not close enough to the camera and lighting departments"

any non camera POSITION you decide to take should be a learning experince toward DP.
back in early 80's when i went to LA i did PA work just to see the top DP's light .. 1st LA job -swept a stage so i could see Vilmos Zsigmond light ..http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005936/. PA'd to see Vittorio Storaro light .http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005886/.. i got to see just about all my favorite DP's light becuase i did those bottom jobs so i could LEARN ... and today i'd still sweep a stage to see a few DP's light...

i didn't do the camera PA, loader, 2nd AC , 1stAC thing .. i tried the camera dept and i have to say BORING !! IMO things only get interesting when you step up to operator ...
i did the shoot whatever -whenever for free and made $$ doing whatever job that i could learn something about the business or lighting ( and that included watching ) ..

back when i started there was 35mm FILM and then there was 16mm FILM (& video was a FOUR letter word) ... a DP could get stuck working in 16mm for years ... i preferred working on lighting crews then working in camera dept...

back then i saw many talented "camera want to be's" not make it because they wouldnt take crap jobs ( to pay bills) or they had to take other work outside of film business to pay the bills ...

there are all different ways to work your way up to DP
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:10 PM   #18
Major Player

Thanks Don. I want to make it clear that I have no disdain for whatever position in the motion picture industry as long as it is not a dead end that will lead me nowhere. My reasoning behind not wanting to do PA jobs was that I would be too far from the action to actually do what you said, learn by watching. I would think you don't get to watch anything when you're miles away from the shooting location blocking a street or going to the renting facility to get the equipment trucks for the shooting. But I will do anything that will bring me closer to my goal.

Maybe there's also the age factor coming into play more than I'm willing to admit. I'm 28yo and after 3 years of College and 3 years of video production work, I hear a clock ticking. But I will certainly not snub any position, heck if I was rich I wouldn't mind working on sets for free, it's really not about the money for me and PA work would certainly be better than sweeping the floor in a restaurent waiting for my "big break". Maybe I should say I'll try to start as "high" as I can, while being ready to do whatever it takes to get in. So the camera and lighting crews are high in my wish list, but, whatever is necessary I will do.
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #19
Slash Rules!

Actually, again, from my experiences here, as a PA, every job might be different. I can't say I've actually worked on a movie (sorry), but I have worked on a number of commercials and corporate videos (higher end ones), as well as a weird educational videogame shoot that was basically a movie. Sometimes I would have plenty of time to stand around and watch the process work, and sometimes I would be sent on errands. Sometimes I would be on set but busy doing things so I couldn't just observe. You just never know.

Here's something else I thought of. . .sometimes production companies (at least here) have permanent staff who act as grips or whatever when the company has a shoot, and work at the office the rest of the time. I don't know if you'd want to do that, but it's another option.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #20
Major Player

What kind of production companies would those be Josh? Corporate and commercial or movie? Are you talking about the big Studios in Hollywood? Because here in Quebec there aren't those kind of mega production companies. Actually, the US Studios usually come down to shoot here in order to save some dough. There are independent producers of course, but they build capital for a movie on a per movie basis, mostly through government subventions (big budget movies here run around 10-20M, so the scale is probably not comparable to Hollywood).
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #21
Slash Rules!

Probably smaller companies, but the point is to get real set experience while making money. You'll just have to call around and see if anyone's looking to hire. Nothing wrong with working on higher end corporate projects and commercials. . .there's a lot to be learned there that you could take as a DP to work on movies.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #22
Major Player

Definitelly Josh, I'll keep all my options open. The important thing for me is to progress technically, and for that I'll have to work on higher end productions. What they are about ultimatelly will depend on the opportunities I find.
David Lach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business