DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Advice.... what kind of contract??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/89965-advice-what-kind-contract.html)

Adam Grunseth March 26th, 2007 11:42 AM

Advice.... what kind of contract???

Ok, here is my situation. My girlfriends father invested some money to help me start my business. I didn't solicit this investment, it was entirely his idea and he insisted that I take it. So I accepted, and sat down, and figured the value of my labor and what I contributed to the business and what he contributed. The result was is contribution was worth about 8.5% of the total company- so in turn I would like to share with him 8.5% of the profits. We both agreed it would be good to have a contract saying this..... but I'm not sure what kind of contract fits the situation. My company is set up as a sole proprietership, and the only way I have found to give him a contract is to make him a partner and set things up as a limited liability partnership. However, I learned even in a limited liability partnership he may still have some liability if the business gets sued.

I am really not sure how to get this set up.... I do not want him to have to have any liability in the case the company gets sued, but at the same time I really do not want to set up a coorporation. Is there anything in between?

Steven Davis March 26th, 2007 12:13 PM

I would consult an attorney.

John Vincent March 26th, 2007 01:59 PM

Perhaps you should form a single-member LLC with your step-dad as the primary investor.

LLC's serve to protect the owners and managers from being sued individually for a business's mistakes - as do other business entities. It's primary diffrence is that is flexible company - you get the "pass-through" tax advantages of a partner-ship (w/o having to form a partnership, which have many problems IMHO), w/o having to have board of governers, et al.

But whatever the company's form, a person can still sue the the people who run the company if the facts are right - for instance, if the compnay intentionally was breaking the law and someone got hurt.

Suing a person who manages a company is called "piercing the corporate veil" and simply means that the court will allow a party to go after the company's manager's/board of directors. That said, piercing the veil is somewhat difficult.

It's even more difficult to sue a "money only" investor - the kind most commonly asscociated with LLC's. Typically, "members" of the LLC are investors who have no managerial responsibilities - they are simply investors, thus are expossed to virtually no liability, even if the "veil" is pierced.

This is only general advice - your business or state might have particular restrictions. But hopefully this will help search for an attorney - for a simple one person LLC, you shouldn't have to pay more than a grand to has this sort of document drawn up, esp from a younger lawyer... Good luck!

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com