DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Is this a scam? YES it is. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/94916-scam-yes.html)

Chris Davis May 24th, 2007 09:17 AM

Is this a scam? YES it is.

Read this email I received today:

Quote:

HI I AM WATSON GORDON AND I WANT TO MAKE A RESERVATION FOR VIEDO PHOTGRAPHER FOR MY WEDDING ANIVERSORY IN CALIFORNIA. PLEASE I WANT TO MAKE COMPLETE PAYMENTS IN ADVNCE BECAUSE I AM WORKING IN AN OIL RIG IN MALAYSIA AND I HAVE LIMITED TIME. I AM MAKING ALL PAYMENTS DIRECTLY FROM HERE VIA MY CREDIT CARD AND I HOPE YOU FAVE CREDIT CARD FACILITY FOR MAKING PAYMENT. MY WEDDING ANIVERSORY WILL BE ON 28TH OF AUGUST AND AI WANT YOU TO GIVE ME THE TOTAL COST FOR THREE DAYS COVERAGE BECAUSE THE CELEBRATION WILL START ON THE 26TH. AS SOON AS I HEAR FROM YOU I WILL ALSO SEND A SCAN COPY OF MY USA INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT FOR YOU TO IDENTIFY ME MORE. I LOOK FORWARD TO GET THE COST SO THAT I WILL FORWARD MY CREDIT CARD INFORMATION FOR YOU TO CHARGE THE MONEY REQUIRED FOR THE PAYMENT.
HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU
I'm in Minnesota, a long way from California. It makes no sense that this person would contact me for their wedding, when there are thousands of videographers nearby. I'm thinking this guy wants to set me up for some kind of scam.

George Odell May 24th, 2007 09:22 AM

Yep. It's a scam. Do not, under any circumstances, reply.

Mark Holland May 24th, 2007 09:24 AM

Looks like some sort of scam to me, too! I'd ignore it and tag it as junk mail.

Steven Davis May 24th, 2007 09:25 AM

Yep, most likely a scam. These have been on the rise recently, atleast in my inbox. Don't even waste your time responding.

Giroud Francois May 24th, 2007 09:46 AM

As long as you are not sending money, bank info, or anything (like official paper that can be used) there is no reason not to listen this guy.
you can eventually make him aware of the distance and see the reply.
He offers you to pay in full and in advance by credit card. what is the risk for you ?

Richard Wakefield May 24th, 2007 09:54 AM

Giroud,

it's not the initial email that's the scam, it's the follow-up...
'can you phone me to clarify some details' ($5/second),

or

'i've sent you too much, can you send me $xxx back to me' (he hasn't sent anything)

etc etc

LOL, we'll all burn in hell if this guy is genuine....but me, i smell a rat.

Gareth Watkins May 24th, 2007 10:04 AM

Hi there

Like so many of these scams the guys are quite obviously not English speakers... Just read it... it's so full of spelling and grammatical mistakes, it has to be a phoney....

But wherein is the scam... ??? You'll probably be asked to send your bank details to Nigeria...

LOL!!

cheers
Gareth

Chris Hurd May 24th, 2007 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giroud Francois (Post 685508)
As long as you are not sending money... there is no reason not to listen this guy... what is the risk for you ?

Giroud, please understand that there's no doubt whatsoever that this is a scam. Repeat: it's a definite scam. Your question should be, how does this scam work? It works because actually this scam does involve you sending money.

The way it works is, the scammers send you a check or credit card payment for a large amount (let's say it's $6000) Then immediately they ask for a portion of that amount back from you (we have accidentally overpaid, please send back $400). Later on, your bank contacts you to say that the original $6000 check or card payment is no good and they will not honor it. You've just been scammed out of $400.

The amounts of money involved will vary, but this illustrates how the scam works.

Hope this helps,

Chris Hurd May 24th, 2007 10:09 AM

Moved from Wedding & Event Video Production to Taking Care of Business.

Left a permanent re-direct to this thread from Wedding & Event Video Production.

Travis Cossel May 24th, 2007 12:06 PM

I would suggest reporting this to the FBI. It could very well be more than just a scam for money. Just a few months ago I saw something like this and it turned out to be someone trying to get into the country illegally, which has all sorts of bad meaning these days. I'd forward the email to the FBI.

James Emory May 24th, 2007 01:00 PM

Giroud, Richard and Chis are correct. These scams are executed in steps and here is the proof. Many, many people have fallen for this type of bait and switch scam. You can literally see exactly what your dealing with at that site. Try to contain yourself when laughing so hard because it is hilarious what this guy does to these scammers. 419 refers to the penal code for this crime in Nigeria.

www.419eater.com

Greg Boston May 24th, 2007 01:15 PM

Another poster has just gotten the same scam attempt in the Wedding Video forum. Looks like that's who they're targeting at the moment.

-gb-

James Emory May 24th, 2007 01:19 PM

Craig's List has been getting exploited alot lateley and I have seen the bait & switch in the tv/film/radio and the crew boards a few times. With hundreds of categories CL is a prime target.

Jason Robinson May 24th, 2007 02:35 PM

Check clearing

It seems like there would be a certain amount of time needed to clear the check and if you want that time until it actually does clear and show up in our account then you are set to go. Am I missing something?

James Emory May 24th, 2007 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson (Post 685735)
Am I missing something?

You will be missing several thousand dollars from your account if you fall for this. The checks, money orders, wire transfers are all fake. Sometimes they are valid in case you verify it but they could and do cancel it after you have sent the balance and then you are screwed. This is what these people do all day, every day. Check out www.419eater.com to see how all of this works.