DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Best way to market yourself (as director) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/95757-best-way-market-yourself-director.html)

Kevin Carter June 4th, 2007 01:17 PM

Best way to market yourself (as director)

Curious what are best ways to market yourself as a director?

Who to call and send cards to? (I mean direct clients not the agents or productions houses)

What best list for those?

Any other interesting ways to get word out?

Any other boards that discuss this? thanks

Mike Peter Reed June 4th, 2007 01:51 PM

I'm not sure there are any best ways. It's not what you know ....

Richard Alvarez June 4th, 2007 02:01 PM

A director of... what? Documentaries, Commercials, Music Videos, Feature Films, Animation?

Marketing anything begins with resume, experience and samples.

Dylan Couper June 4th, 2007 02:11 PM

What Richard said.
Different avenues for each. Whatever the case, you'd better have one deadly demo reel!

Kevin Carter June 4th, 2007 09:54 PM

Ok, I have a great reel for both commercials and music videos, and shorts.
What are best books, /sources to market to? thanks

Matthew Craggs June 4th, 2007 10:03 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "best books to market to."

Sounds to me like you just need to research as many production house's as you can and start cold calling the appropriate ones.

Kevin Carter June 5th, 2007 12:00 PM

I'm not getting through. I will be sending to those houses but also want make excel list of they places THEY market to as well

Benjamin Hill June 5th, 2007 12:44 PM

The best marketing is having a good product or service. That especially applies to directing, shooting, editing or even cable-wrapping.

Aside from that, knowing people and making yourself known through good old-fashioned networking. Probably 95% of my paying work has come from word-of-mouth referrals. FWIW

Richard Alvarez June 5th, 2007 02:47 PM

Kevin,

I assume you have a killer resume and demo reel. I assume you'd like to work with ad agencies and production companies.

The Hollywood Creative Directory "They have a version of Producers only listings) might be a good place to start, but really in terms of features, it's a closed knit community. Still no harm in adding your demo reel to the pile of coffee coasters they have on their intern's desk.

The best bet to get work, is to be working. SO - Check online/google up ad agencies, if possible DROP you reel by for a little face to face, press the flesh. CONTACT Recording Studios in the same vain. Face to face, press the flesh... leave the demo. Smaller ad agencies and studios will be more receptive.

And KEEP IN CONTACT with your crew and producers you DO work for. It's really about networking, rather than cold calling. Have a good web presence, a good business card, a good demo reel - and a GREAT HANDSHAKE AND SMILE - and keep handing them out on shoots.

Benjamin is right. It's word of mouth. You never know when that makeup girl or gaffer on your last shoot, will be working on a big shoot... and have the ability to pass on your name and reputation when the hot headed director walks of the set. (Don't laugh... it's happened)

Good luck.