stock footage legality question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old June 21st, 2007, 12:42 PM   #1
Major Player

stock footage legality question

I know there aren't many lawyers here but...;-)

I was wondering about the legality of say a freelance news photog, taking video of say a crime scene, with emergency personnel around (police, fire, emt etc) a defendant being arrested and later selling this as royalty free stock footage. There are clear shots of faces etc,

In a news situation you wouldn't need releases, but what about re-sale later? Say the person arrested was charged with, I don't know, say Domestic violence, and the producer who purchased the royalty free clip used it in a video about murderers, would they be liable for casting the detainee in a "false light?"

* and no, I did not take such footage.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Just a layman's answer: if it feels wrong, it is more than likely wrong.

And it does feel wrong... Let's say my girlfriend called the cops and I get arrested - men get easily arrested in such situations. Later the evidence shows that I was innocent and she caused the whole fight (say she came home drunk from a party).

You filmed that, sold it as royalty free stock footage and some day I watch myself being arrested, in a documentary about domestic violence on CNN. You bet I'll find out who sold that footage and drag you to court! Of course this is all hypothetical and CNN knows better, but I think this pretty much answers your question.
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mecca View Post
I know there aren't many lawyers here but...;-)

I was wondering about the legality of say a freelance news photog, taking video of say a crime scene, with emergency personnel around (police, fire, emt etc) a defendant being arrested and later selling this as royalty free stock footage. There are clear shots of faces etc,

In a news situation you wouldn't need releases, but what about re-sale later? Say the person arrested was charged with, I don't know, say Domestic violence, and the producer who purchased the royalty free clip used it in a video about murderers, would they be liable for casting the detainee in a "false light?"

* and no, I did not take such footage.
The short answer is: yes, there is potential false-light defamation liability. There are additional concerns with respect to commercial appropriation of likeness (the laws for which vary state-by-state) and other invasion of privacy torts.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business