Formatting for 30-minute show, timing etc. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old June 24th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Formatting for 30-minute show, timing etc.

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of editing a TV show i put together, and i was just wondering how to format it. I know that there is twenty two minutes of actual show, when the time for commercials is taken out... but i am not sure of how many breaks to include and if any specific tones or bars are needed.

Someone told me that every station has their own way of formatting shows, but that does not seem right to me, if that is the case how would syndicators keep everything in order?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
John Brinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #2
Major Player

During the past 5 years I created two different TV shows. Each show went to 3-5 different Networks/Outlets.

Each Network/Outlet requested the show in "their format".

I created two main show templets. One for commercial TV and the other for Public TV. Then tweaked each show to the individual network/outlet requirements.

Filming, editing, and producing a small television is full of pitfalls. Don't expect the Networks/Outlets to be honest. Some of them prey upon newbe producers. GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING.

You will have fun, but you will also get an education.

Good Luck!
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your help,

So every station has their own formatting, what a mess, i guess i will just have to ask everyone what they want.

So, when submitting a pilot for a show, how should that be done... no commercial breaks at all?

Thanks
John Brinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #4
Major Player

John

Every network has it's own settings. But in general there are 3 commercial breaks spaced as evenly as possible. They can be as short as 2:02 or 2:04. The network may display their logo in the corner of the screen. During those time frames you would not want to run commercials.

When submitting a pilot it is without commercials. Be sure the pilot is the absolute best work you can produce.

Good luck, it is a rough ride but kinda fun.

Jim
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

So, three breaks for a half-hour show... interesting.

Everyone keeps telling me that it is a rough ride to get something on the air... but there must be at least a few success stories out there, I would love to hear them, if anyone would like to share their experiences.
John Brinks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business