Ridiculous Job Offers / Demands!! - Page 14 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:23 PM   #196
Slash Rules!
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 4,682
James, I may have to fight you on this one. It doesn't sound that unusual. Interships are usually unpaid.

The only weird thing is that, in high school and college, they expect you to be "knowledgeable about the film industry."

Then why the fark am I interning?
Josh Bass is offline  
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:36 PM   #197
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass
The only weird thing is that, in high school and college, they expect you to be "knowledgeable about the film industry."
I didn't state it, but that's exactly what I was thinking. I think we've all interned at one time or another but that wasn't the point. What you stated is what is so ridiculous about their post, the requirements. Their description sounds like working professionals and like they're trying to staff an entire broadcast facility.
James Emory is offline  
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:40 PM   #198
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: california
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory
Oh yes, I think it's safe to say that we have all worked for free and I occassionally still do if not for deferrment which is a caculated risk. I may do it for a friend or for a project that I believe in. The point of this thread though, is to show how demanding some people can be when asking for help whether it's clearly for no compensation or for deferrment. No one should be that way when that is the situation. They should be happy with what they can get, for free! If you look carefully through this thread you will see some scattered discussion about this.
hello james,

i see your point, but some of the postings shouting in the wrong direction, they go after the people who take those jobs. people like me, who are on the way up/ to learn etc.

since i "search" daily for opportunities, you'r right, there are a lot of rediculous
"job offers" out there, and to make that clear, i am not defending them.

i guess whoever starts the videograph/ film business will reach the point of "no return", because it's fun, or 5 and 6 digits of money investet in exquipment.etc.

there may be even a market.

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline  
Old November 19th, 2005, 10:39 AM   #199
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Posts: 3,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Heiner
hello james,

i see your point, but some of the postings shouting in the wrong direction, they go after the people who take those jobs. people like me, who are on the way up/ to learn etc.

since i "search" daily for opportunities, you'r right, there are a lot of rediculous
"job offers" out there, and to make that clear, i am not defending them.

i guess whoever starts the videograph/ film business will reach the point of "no return", because it's fun, or 5 and 6 digits of money investet in exquipment.etc.

there may be even a market.

greetings
Starting salary should not be $0. If you're simply providing labor and no gear you should make enough to buy food and pay for housing. Pay can be very low because those folks might still be living at home or splitting housing costs with roommates but one still has those real world costs.

Internships mean getting trained by talented and/or seasoned professionals. You're getting an education that would otherwise cost you a fortune in classes (or on the job mistakes). That's NOT, "you get paid nothing because I haven't a clue how to raise money for my project/business." In fact that's the kind of job you RUN FROM!

If any gig requires gear, it's not an internship! They're goniffs (crooks) if there's no reasonable pay. You need make to cost of living plus cost of the gear you're paying for along with its maintenance and eventual replacement.

Base pay for a newbie should be cost of living (and cost of gear if required). You're rate of pay increases as you gain skill and you make PROFIT - Go on vacations, go to movies, go out to eat, enjoy life.

IMHO you start out working "at cost" (NOT FREE or at a loss) and then start making more profit as you gain skills.
Craig Seeman is offline  
Old November 19th, 2005, 12:35 PM   #200
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 191
Absolutely, Craig. My main occupation is not video, but when we do hire interns, they are paid. It's not a lot, but it's at least minimum wage. Companies are using the excuse of "internship" as a means to get free labor, and are justifying it by calling it "training" or pretending its classroom time.
The real question s/b, is the company using the intern as part of the creating of a final product. Almost always, the answer is yes; therefore almost always the answer s/b to pay the intern. Anything else is simply a rationalization.
Bill Zens is offline  
Old November 19th, 2005, 01:30 PM   #201
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,892
Thank you Craig and Bill! Back in the early '90s, I was interning at a local cable station then owned by Scripps Howard, then Comcast who eventually got rid of it 10 years later. When it was new, I approached and convinced them to let me produce a show using their gear and in return for the use of that, I worked for free as a shooter for their news department. I didn't mind that deal because I was very young and was just happy to be doing something that I had always wanted to do. I came out ahead on that deal because I could never put a value on the hands on training (total immersion) that I got from that experience. One other note is that after Comcast took over, for some reason, they started paying local college interns. I don't know if there were complaints from the schools or if they realized they may have been breaking labor laws. It was kind of discouraging to be around people that knew far less than me, people I was training and supervising GETTING PAID while I worked for free! But not really, the hands on experience that I received then has served me well and has been a key reason for getting me where I am today. These posts for nonpaid positions are not all shady but I will only do something once that I haven't done before, if it gets me experience that I think I need and there's probably no other way that I could have gotten it.
James Emory is offline  
Old November 20th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #202
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ventura, California, USA
Posts: 751
You guys are looking at this the wrong way. We should all be thankful that everyone doesn't charge for internships or the privilege of working for someone!
Bill Porter is offline  
Old November 20th, 2005, 05:06 PM   #203
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Posts: 3,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Porter
You guys are looking at this the wrong way. We should all be thankful that everyone doesn't charge for internships or the privilege of working for someone!

But they do!

It used to be you had to pay around $3200 for a PD-150, then it went to $3500 for the DVX-100 to shoot in 24p, now they ask you to have a Z1 for $4600 and when the Panasonic HVX-200 comes out you'll have to pay $6000!

I expect to see interns who must have a Thompson Viper soon!
Craig Seeman is offline  
Old November 20th, 2005, 05:22 PM   #204
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Porter
You guys are looking at this the wrong way. We should all be thankful that everyone doesn't charge for internships or the privilege of working for someone!
Please explain further. I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean by everyone doesn't charge for internships or the privilege of working for someone! Who does everyone refer to?
James Emory is offline  
Old November 20th, 2005, 06:43 PM   #205
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ventura, California, USA
Posts: 751
Craig, excellent point!
Bill Porter is offline  
Old November 20th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #206
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Posts: 3,706
Talk about shady. A wedding ceremony with four people and it'll be 2 hours. Heck even the longer ones don't go much over an hour. Waz up with dat? Then he wants TWO more shoot days at about 5 hours each. Cost 12 hours over 3 days is $250. Of course the pay's so high because you have to have experience and equipment!


Need person to shoot some digital video
I need a cameraman on Nov. 26th for 2 hours to film a barebones wedding in Central Park, only the couple, officiate and me will be present.

I also need a cameramann on Nov. 28th and 29th for a total of 10 hours. I want to shoot footage to put on my website.

I might have other stuff in the future.

You need to have experience and equipment. Pay is $ 250 for the whole thing.
Craig Seeman is offline  
Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:26 PM   #207
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman
I need a cameraman on Nov. 26th for 2 hours to film a barebones wedding in Central Park, only the couple, officiate and me will be present.
But the location and time of year are great!!!
Bill Zens is offline  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:41 AM   #208
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,892
Introducing the all new Cannon DVX!

Surely they don't realize just how specialized that camera is. If I'm going to be operating the new Cannon DVX, I think I should be getting more than $50 / day!

"Looking for DP who can work a Cannon DVX 3CCD who has access to a basic lighting kit. We welcome fresh out of film school graduates. A independent trilogy slated for entry to the atlanta film festival

$50/ day + credits, copy+ food

3 day shoot"
James Emory is offline  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:01 AM   #209
Trustee
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 1,427
an independent trilogy? In three days? Hmm that means one movie a day on a camera that doesn't even exist, good thing it's ok if you're fresh out of film school (which I imagine means GSU or SCAD).
__________________
I have a dream that one day canon will release a 35mm ef to xl adapter and I'll have iris control and a 35mm dof of all my ef lenses, and it will be awesome...
Nick Hiltgen is offline  
Old November 28th, 2005, 09:21 PM   #210
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,892
If they have pro editors teaching, then why do they need editors to cut their content?

"Xxxxxxx based production company is looking to hire professional editors to edit a reality show and future projects. If you have proven work and are looking for your next job send us an email stating your interest along with a resume or a link to your webpage.

We are also looking to hire inhouse editors and we do provide on the job training for serious inquiries only. If you have a passion for editing but haven't had the time or opportunity to learn the basics, come join us every Saturday for our inhouse Final Cut workshop.

Bring your home photos and video, leave with your own edited project…

Next class

SATURDAYS
BEGINNER’S CLASS 10:00AM – 12:00 $75.00 (ask about our fee wavier program)
ADVANCED CLASS 1:00 PM – 3:00PM $75.00
TUESDAYS ADDED BY POPULAR DEMAND!
BEGINNER'S CLASS 10:00AM - 12:00 $75.00
BEGINNER'S CLASS 7:00PM - 9:00PM $75.00
IN OUR ONE DAY INTENSIVE TRAINING COURSE, learn Final Cut Pro from our team of Editors with extensive experience in using Final Cut Pro for Film and Video. Our Introductory and Advanced classes teach you the basics you need to complete your own project including:

• How to open, log and capture your images,
• Basic transitions
• Create your own project
• Leave class with your own edited video!

Class size is restricted, SPACE IS LIMITED. CALL TODAY TO REGISTER"
James Emory is offline  
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

EVS
(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:03 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2015 The Digital Video Information Network