Ridiculous Job Offers / Demands!! - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Closed Thread

Old November 30th, 2005, 05:34 AM   #211
Trustee

Yep, so many low-ballers out there. Recently there was an ad on Shooting People asking for a Digibeta camera owner/operator to work for free with an addition to their reel as reward! I really would love to meet some of the people who put those sorts of ads out face to face so I can put them straight on a few things.
Old November 30th, 2005, 06:30 AM   #212
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham
Yep, so many low-ballers out there. Recently there was an ad on Shooting People asking for a Digibeta camera owner/operator to work for free with an addition to their reel as reward! I really would love to meet some of the people who put those sorts of ads out face to face so I can put them straight on a few things.
Yeah, because we all know that someone with a Digibeta probably got it as part of a package on eBay or got one for Christmas and does not know how to use it... /sarcasm :D
Old November 30th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #213
Inner Circle

This is downright FRIGHTENING! A MAJOR Cable Company paying only $150 a day for DV AND BetaSP to shoot COMMERCIALS. I can't fathom this at all! It's sickening!

GRIPS, CAMERA PEOPLE WANTED

Cable company seeks grips and experienced DV and Beta SP camera people to assist on local commercial shoots on a freelance basis.

Please send resume and reel to:

Creative Services Manager
Comcast Spotlight
400 Broadacres Drive, 2nd Floor
Bloomfield, NJ 07003

Compensation: $150/day
Old November 30th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #214
Slash Rules!

Maybe they left something out. A pa/grip for 150 isn't that unreasonable on those "little" shoots---surely they would not pay the same rate for a PA as a camera guy. That makes no sense.
Old November 30th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #215
Regular Crew

Up and coming, seems to be tag words being used more and more lately. He must have bought one of those TV Network kits at Staples. How can an up and coming network already be prominent? I guess only 20 year olds know how to shoot MTV style videos. My guess is that he is assuming that all 20 year olds are naive and will fall for his crap.

"I am a video producer out of San Francisco. I am looking for a young, 20 something to shoot a hip MTV style video about social, political and environmental events. The pay is low to start but as we do more I can pay more. This is for a very prominent up and coming tv network. I am not being paid much either. Looking to build a team and make a mark. Also need a sound person. Need to shoot early next week.

Compensation: $200 for the day"
Old November 30th, 2005, 03:54 PM   #216
Slash Rules!

Well, he did say 20 SOMETHING. That's anywhere from 20-29.

Also, $200 isn't that bad. I've worked for that. Don't be hatin'. I guess it depends on what gear you're using.
Old November 30th, 2005, 04:21 PM   #217
Regular Crew

I think we're losing Josh to the dark side. I don't care what the age range is and in all cases the rate is not necessarily relevant. No matter how much they offer, it doesn't guarantee that you will get paid. I once had to wait almost 60 days just to get $75!! Some people may not even get the $25 or $50 that they're promised. My point about that post is that it is odd that an age was even requested at all. I would bet $200 on the fact that this project is absolutely a nowhere dead end just based on the post itself. It screams wishful thinking which there's nothing wrong with because there's certainly nothing wrong with having ambitions and any potential crewmember has the option to take it or leave it. Unfortunately in my earlier days, I was a victim, more than once, of these types of so called producers and therefore can identify them much easier now by the way that they present their pitch.
Old December 1st, 2005, 03:02 AM   #218
Major Player

It's illegal to discrimnate based on age so the person who wrote it is an assclown. But if you wanted really good stuff targeted for a youth audience and were going to target a certain age range, perhaps it should have been 23-33. :P
Old December 1st, 2005, 03:09 AM   #219
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Porter
It's illegal to discrimnate based on age so the person who wrote it is an assclown.
LMAO!!!! :O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Porter
But if you wanted really good stuff targeted for a youth audience and were going to target a certain age range, perhaps it should have been 23-33. :P
I totally agree and that is more than likely what he meant but I don't think too many older folks would work on that type of project or for that rate anyway. My main issue with that post and all like it are the presumptions of up and coming this and that! Anything that is new and unknown is up and coming dammit! :O
Old December 1st, 2005, 01:19 PM   #220
Major Player

Hey, the job post said "prominent." There are multiple definitions. One is "widely known, eminent." I agree; they can't be 'up and coming' and 'widely known.'

However, another definition is 'Immediately noticeable; conspicuous.' I would say that guy is immediately noticeable. As a hoser.
Old December 1st, 2005, 04:46 PM   #221
Wrangler

Hey guys, that ad is offering to pay $200. Compared to the others who offer credit and footage for your reel, that's pretty darn good.
Old December 1st, 2005, 05:14 PM   #222
Slash Rules!

How am I lost to the dark side?

This is how I read the ad

"work = $200 a day"

. That's otay by me. What's wrong with that? Who cares if the project blows? Are you personally invested in it or are you trying to make a living? Yeah, sometimes people take forever to pay. Sometimes, even reputable (or, I should say, established companies). Apparently, that's just the way it is sometimes.

Anyway, here's one:

Looking for experienced, ambitious Production Assistants to perform 2-3 day contract shoots for a growing national marketing company. Must have reliable transportation. Must have some lighting experience, be able to follow a detailed shot sheet and know how to get around in the Houston area. We provide gas, meal allowance. The Production Assistant rate is $125.00 per day. Send contact information and resume; specify "Houston" in your response.

* Job location is Houston
* Compensation: $125.00 per day, with gas & meal allowance
* This is a contract job.
* no -- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* no -- Please, no phone calls about this job!
* no -- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
* no -- Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK.

Now, granted, 125 for a PA isn't awful (at least in Houston), though 150 or 175 is better, and expected, if you have some experience.

The part I don't care is that fact that YOU'RE NOT A GODDAMN PA, YOU'RE A DP!

P.S.

Excuse/asterisk-ize the cussing.

P.P.S The company who posted the ad is crozier henderson. Oops. Did I let that out?
Old December 3rd, 2005, 10:53 PM   #223
Regular Crew

Not sure if this is ridiculous or just pain old unique

Need a mini dv cam
HERITAGE POWER SUNDAY
Pan Afrikan Nationalism
African Security & Survival
HIV / AIDS, Bird Flu…. Genocidal Warfare
With
Xxx Jones
The War Correspondent
Sunday, December 4, 2005
4:00 pm

FREE ADMISSION!

The Afrikan Djeli Center

this is in or around Atlanta

Compensation: Sign Copy of Author, Book & Dinner
Old December 6th, 2005, 11:34 AM   #224
Major Player

hi gang,

i would like to address an issue, wich is bothering me a lot. off course it could have to do with how serious, and professional, those job offer posters are.

please send an e-mail back to the job applicants. straight forward yes or no.
let them know that they are not in the loop.

greetings
Old December 6th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #225
Slash Rules!

That doesn't mean anything. Even legit companies or whatever don't always tell you (I would say USUALLY don't bother to tell you) if you haven't been chosen.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business