Ridiculous Job Offers / Demands!! - Page 27 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Closed Thread

Old January 24th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #391
Regular Crew

Too bad the pay isn't high profile for what they want in return.

"Videographer needed for high-profile interview/shoot for feature length (90 minutes) documentary.

The interview/shoot will take approximately 2 hours.

You must own a 1/3" CCD camera (ex. Canon XL1(s), Panasonic DVX100(a), etc.) as well as own/access to a broadcast quality wireless mic.

It is imperative that you be able to follow directions from the director.

Please respond with camera and mic make/model as well as contact information and experience.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Compensation: $200"
Old January 24th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #392
Slash Rules!

Chew me a new one if you will, but I would absolutely do that.

200 for two hours? Sure. I've done a 200 dollar full day with camera, so why not. If he wanted lights (which he should), I would draw the line there. That wasn't in Houston, by chance, was it?

Anyway, this one SO trumps yours---

"Crew Positions 4 Exciting & New Low Budget Feature
Reply to: gigs-127792791@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-01-24, 3:10PM EST

Who?

Producer is in search for a few good men and women to fill positions on this small yet organized crew and production.

Dates? The Month of February and 1st. week in March (4 weeks or 1 month shooting)

What Positions?

Grip- 1,000 $
Makeup Artist- 800$
PA-700$
PA-700$
Script Supervisor- 600$

Format?

Film will be shot on super 16mm with festival consideration (IMDB Credit).

Details?

Monthly Rate, Meals, Copy of Completed Film, & Credit will ALL be provided for your participation in this ambitious and interesting project.

What To Do?

Send your name and contact information to this posting along with a resume if you have one, for those without please describe your level of experience and what position you are applying for. Film students are welcome to respond and apply.

Note:

Rates are as they stand, this is a low budget project and we cannot unfortunately offer more pay. This is a great way to gain experience and network with crew and producers while making SOME money, unlike many postings on this website. Only those with positive attitudes and a strong work ethic need apply, I thank you all in advance.

Sincerely, Assistant to Producer. "

By the way, do these people who put "IMDB Credit" and "festival. . .blah blah blah" in there think that we don't know that anyone can enter their own info on IMDB, and anyone can submit anything to a festival? I could poop in a soup can and submit it as a short. So what?
Old January 24th, 2006, 06:50 PM   #393
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass
Chew me a new one if you will, but I would absolutely do that.

200 for two hours? Sure. I've done a 200 dollar full day, so why not.
For a DP, camera, sound and a list of demands, no, that's not a good deal. First of all, it's never just 2 hours though it is more probable with an interview than a location shoot with more variables, but I would bet unlikely. Your time to set up and strike should be included so that's another possible 2 hours depending on how complex the lighting will be. I have been paid OT several times just because of extensive set up and strike times sent us over 10 hours. Nobody ever wants to include the set up and strike as part of the crew's time but it is.
Old January 24th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #394
Regular Crew

Do you or Josh have a full time job? If you do, then this is just extra money. If you don't, then that kind of pay won't make a dent in 10's of thousands of dollars of debt for gear and it's not worth the effort. Then, if it becomes not worth the effort for too long, it's probably time to consider another career. That's reality if this is your full time job like it is for me.
Old January 24th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #395
Slash Rules!

I gotta tell you guys---I been doin' this stuff for about four years, on and off (with a WHOLE lot of off). I get a little more work every year, but all in all, I have not done that many freelance shoots.

I bought the XL1s to make short films with (this was pre-DVX100 era), and have done that, but the idea to make money with the thing didn't occur to me 'til later ("wait, people will actually pay you to use this camera?"), so that didn't figure into the purchase decision.

So that's where I come from with a lot of this stuff. If I had 20 years experience and was fully confident I would not do this or that wrong, miss this or that shot, or anything else, then I would scoff at those rates too. As it is, they're just about right for me right now. Especially for a half day (even if setup/takedown is an hour each, I can't see going past 5 hours).

On the other hand, I know a guy who has 30 years experience, and for a full day with this PDX10, lights, audio, etc., would charge $350. Pretty wacky, eh?
Old January 24th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #396
Capt. Quirk

Yeah... I'm a full time starving artist, tired of no pay. Where is this job at???
Old January 24th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #397
Slash Rules!

I have several avenues of income ---master control operator, community college videographer/editor, occasional PA, occasional freelancer videographer. And there's no debt. Wouldn't have bought something I didn't have the money for already.
Old January 24th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #398
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory
You need to go rent Payback with Mel Gibson and then pay this guy a visit!
The gas down there alone makes it cost prohibitive. Then, if my wife needs to come down and bail me out... Right now, I'm out $40 and a day. However, if I were to catch him on the street...
Old January 24th, 2006, 07:27 PM   #399
Regular Crew

Quote:

On the other hand, I know a guy who has 30 years experience, and for a full day with this PDX10, lights, audio, etc., would charge $350. Pretty wacky, eh?
If everything's paid for and it's real slow, as bad as it is to work for that rate, it could be putting food on the table. It doesn't really bother me as much for someone with a family to take jobs like that though.
Old January 24th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #400
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory
Too bad the pay isn't high profile for what they want in return.

"Videographer needed for high-profile interview/shoot for feature length (90 minutes) documentary.

The interview/shoot will take approximately 2 hours.

You must own a 1/3" CCD camera (ex. Canon XL1(s), Panasonic DVX100(a), etc.) as well as own/access to a broadcast quality wireless mic.

It is imperative that you be able to follow directions from the director.

Please respond with camera and mic make/model as well as contact information and experience.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Compensation: $200"

hello james,

i would do this job too. covers my media, gas, food + 100 bugs, or 50 an hour.
at this point there is no word about light, and that it will take more then 2 hours, is an assumption.
just out of curiousity. what would quote, for this job?

greetings
Old January 24th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #401
Slash Rules!

Well, now, wait kids. . .I'd only do that gig for that pay in Houston. If it's in Austin or something, those motherfockers are paying my gas too. Both ways. I have standards. Not yours, maybe, but they're there.

I guess my reasoning is that I didn't buy the camera do make a living, so it's kind of bonus when I get hired with it, even for arguably low pay (I've made much better rates using others' gear. Go figure--neither of these things happens that often, though). Almost everything gear related was bought for the personal movie thing, though I did buy a wireless lav exclusively for gigs. Lights and everything else are so I can DP my own stuff without it looking like ass. If someone pays me to use it, cool.
Old January 24th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #402
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Heiner
hello james,
just out of curiousity. what would quote, for this job?
I would shoot it and provide the gear that was requested for $700 and $925 to add a 4 light Arri kit with a Chimera and a field monitor. Tapes would be extra along with any OT, if any, after 10 hours.
Old January 24th, 2006, 08:51 PM   #403
Slash Rules!

How long have you been in the biz again?
Old January 24th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #404
Regular Crew

Quote:
How long have you been in the biz again?
What are you getting at? Just come on out with it.
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:23 PM   #405
Slash Rules!

No no, please don't misunderstand. . .it's not an attack. I'm genuinely interested. As I keep saying, if I'd been in the biz a long time, and had the confidence in my own abilities that comes with that, I'd demand more for each shoot. That's why I asked.

I know of plenty of guys who think 800-1000 a day is a reasonable camera rate, but they usually have way more experience than I do, or use better cams.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business