Ridiculous Job Offers / Demands!! - Page 52 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Closed Thread

Old August 5th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #766
Inner Circle

Honestly folks. Do people really respond to this garbage? Can someone actually dupe someone into working half a day for no money or $50. Will people really lend me their camera for nothing?

Maybe we need our own Ridiculous Job Offers/Demands Challenge. Sort of our own "reality show" contest.

We come up with ads equal to or better than these and post the best ones on craigslist and see who responds. We have to post the responses here. Now obviously they can't be so over the top that everyone sees right through it. The objective is how far can we push it. Maybe two catagories for an ad that gets the most responses and another for how far we can push it and still get a response.
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:51 PM   #767
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by

We are shooting a new underground music show that we are shopping around to different networks in NYC that already has a buzz. We are a group of freelancers that put this show together casue we love what we do and want to make our own decisions for our furture.. if you love underground music and you are always finding out about new bnads first before your friends get in touch with us.. If this sound like what your looking for please contact us with what camera you have perfer Panasonic DVX-100 or A.

[url
www.MorseCodeProductions.com[/url]

OK so 1) you need rights to shoot the wraped tour ANYTHING on the warped tour, the good relaxed people at VANS will sue you so quickly your spikey haired head will spin around your choke coller. 2) they already have a dvx100a if you look at there website 3) they charge 45 bucks an hour for an FCP editing suite but they can't afford to pay you?
Old August 5th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #768
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman
Honestly folks. Do people really respond to this garbage? Can someone actually dupe someone into working half a day for no money or $50. Will people really lend me their camera for nothing?

Maybe we need our own Ridiculous Job Offers/Demands Challenge. Sort of our own "reality show" contest.

We come up with ads equal to or better than these and post the best ones on craigslist and see who responds. We have to post the responses here. Now obviously they can't be so over the top that everyone sees right through it. The objective is how far can we push it. Maybe two catagories for an ad that gets the most responses and another for how far we can push it and still get a response.

Craig,

I'm down with that idea. In fact, I suggested it a little while ago, but didn't get much of a response. Good to see I'm not the only one wondering who takes jobs like these!
Old August 8th, 2006, 05:07 AM   #769
Trustee

Was this one of you guys?

This was great! At least they're honest with what you'll be getting into!

Marietta automotive ad agency seeks full-time video editor/camera-person
with creative flair and unrivaled capacity for mind-numbing detail to shoulder
unrealistic deadlines in a tiny office. Position also includes regular travel
to exotic locations like Johnson City, TN.

REQUIRED:
Proficient in Final Cut Pro, amazing hand-held camera skills, and an eye for the eye-catching.
Applicants must also be.. oh never mind.

ADDITIONAL HELPFUL EXPERIENCE:
short form video projects, event videography, field directing, and the ability to suppress your
highly developed sense of the nuanced ironies in the world around you.

ADDITIONAL HELPFUL SOFTWARE KNOWLEDGE:
ProTools or Soundtrack Pro, Motion, Photoshop

Job location is Marietta
Compensation: based on experience and qualifications; probably 25K-35K with opportunities for advancement
no -- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
no -- Please, no phone calls about this job!
no -- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
no -- Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK.
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #770
Slash Rules!

Just curious, not to be a dink,

But writing aside, is the offer that bad? You won't own the gear, you'll have benefits, and it's smaller market (I'm assuming. . .maybe I'm not very worldly, not having heard of Marietta). It sounds sort of like an entry-mid level position.
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #771
Major Player

Marrietta is part of Atlanta. And you can't afford to buy a cardboard box on a street corner there for 25K. They also want someone who can shoot, edit and do graphics. Seems pretty low to me. I'd stick with the freelance stuff and let them pay me what I'm worth.
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #772
Slash Rules!

Oh. My bad.
Old August 8th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #773
Capt. Quirk

Sounds good to me, except for my inability to supress anything.
Old August 11th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #774
Slash Rules!

All I have to say is "WTF?" I don't think the ad is vague enough.

"Looking for a HUNGRY qualified video production company
Reply to: job-192884997@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-08-11, 12:03PM CDT

I'm looking for a small, hungry video production company that has suitable equipment for shooting outdoors, and suitable post production editing equipment. I really need a little company that has a lightweight camera boom - boom with camera on it that would allow birds-eye and ground level shots. I need the right Tool - that would be the production company, so I can start talking to the other players in the ad hoc consortium I'm putting together. If this works out, we'd could easily do it again in the next city and the city after that. Texas first, though.
Money? Sure...once the thing really gets rolling. This project MUST show profitable return on investment. You must be paid, period.

* Job location is Houston
* Compensation: This thing won't go if investors aren't online. One of the investors might be the City of Houston. No...nothing final just yet.
* This is a contract job.
* no -- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* no -- Please, no phone calls about this job!
* no -- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
* yes -- Reposting this message elsewhere is OK."
Old August 18th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #775
Inner Circle

Here's someone who'll never get a job! This is NYC and the neighborhood one of the most expensive (millionaires) in the city. I shoot and edit reporter demo reels at $50/hr and I consider my rates LOW. I know folks who do this at $100-$150/hr since it's a specialty. I know of no EXPERIENCED news cutter who'd cut a package at anything close to the price they're asking. I guess this is the kind of person who'd hand in a resume on a napkin to save printing costs.

Yes, I sent them a response with my rates and links to demos including the demo for the women who's now weekend anchor at a local station and had NO previous on air experience.

Seeking Editor for Reel (Upper West Side)

Reply to: gigs-195434078@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-08-17, 4:30PM EDT

Seeking editor for reporter reel. Must have experience putting together news packages. Please contact me via email with your resume or brief bio, links (if available) and a contact phone number.

no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Compensation: $50
Old August 18th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #776
Slash Rules!

cram this in your stocking:

"Wedding Videographer Needed
Reply to: job-195567447@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-08-17, 9:24PM CDT

I need a videographer for my wedding on 4/28/07. I would like 2 copies of the ceremony and reception on DVD. The ceremony will begin at 7 PM and the reception will end around 12 AM. I would like for you to have wireless microphones for the ceremony. I don't think you will need to stay around till the end, just for all of the traditional stuff. I'm looking to pay around $200-$300 including editing. If you want to develop your portfolio, I would like you to be my videographer. Please no amateurs. I would like the video to be somewhat decent. Please e-mail me how much you would like to be paid and what camera you will be using. If you have a website, please send the link as well. Thanks!

* Job location is Galleria
* Compensation: ~$300
* no -- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* no -- Please, no phone calls about this job!
* no -- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
* no -- Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK."
Old August 18th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #777
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass
. I'm looking to pay around $200-$300 including editing. If you want to develop your portfolio, I would like you to be my videographer. Please no amateurs.
Isn't that a major contridiction?
Old August 18th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #778
Slash Rules!

Yeah, but when your'e a clown, you don't tend to notice those things in your own writing.
Old August 18th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #779
Inner Circle

Thanks for the laughs Josh! That's great.
Old August 18th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #780
Inner Circle

How's this for stupid!. A production company that has no crew or gear to produce anything. She claim to be a make up artist who "owns" a production company. She's a "celebrity make-up artist" but has no money to produce a demo. The taping will only be used for "professional" use. Oh, good, I thought it might be for amature use justifying the lack of budget. You can get an edited tape! You might get future work as an editor. Hmm, who's editing this tape?

Why I'm a producer too. I only need equipment, crew, money, and a brain. I've got the make-up person though. Geez!

Videographer needed

Reply to: gigs-195981698@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-08-18, 9:42PM EDT

Hello, I am a celebrity make-up artist and owner of a production company. On Monday, August 21, 2006 from 7PM-10PM I will need someone to shoot an on camera make-up workshop. 5 models will be filmed individually getting their makeup done by me. Each application shouldn't take longer than 20-30 minutes. The objective is to teach women the proper application of make-up, while giving industry tips on proper skin care. A preliminary treatment has been given to a local beauty network, so the workshops will be shopped around to other networks and uploaded to my new company web site. This taping will be used for professional use only. Shooting will take place in a studio on west 36th street.

A fun, yet professional videographer is needed. Beginners feel free to apply. You will need to have your own camera with tripod, basic light attached and 2 lav mics. An assistant will be provided. If you need tape stock that can be provided too.
There is no pay, but you will be provided with a gorgeous edited tape for your promotional use. Because this is a new small production company, there is a strong possibility for paid work as a shooter/editor in the near future. If interested, please contact me via e-mail above. Thank you.
Brooke

this is in or around NYC
no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Compensation: Edited tape or DVD
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business